Re: Sims 4 is extremely laggy

by LunaLucy2211

Original Post

Sims 4 is extremely laggy

★★★★★ Novice

Hi there. So I've had Sims for about 2-3 years now and it's all of a sudden become very laggy over the past month or so. It was bearable at first but now I can't even get into the menu with out it lagging.

My laptops RAM is 4 GB and I've tried everything that I can think of. I've reset my game, changed it to 32 bit and I've even deleted the entire game and reinstalled it Frown.

I've also taken out all of my cc and mods. I've searched websites for hours and hours and have tried everything. I even downloaded a lag fix mod for Sims, It helped a little but not much. It's not my laptop because I only got it 2 months ago. So can somebody please help me!

I've linked my DxDiag to this post In case it helps Standard smile

Message 1 of 45 (1,283 Views)

@LunaLucy2211  Even though this laptop is only a couple months old for you, it has older hardware and possibly outdated drivers.  First, please run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

If you get the message that sfc found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them, please stop here.  Otherwise, restart your computer and manually run any pending Windows updates.  Hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.

Next, please go to this site:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/laptops

Enter your laptop's serial number, select your Windows build (1909) if necessary, and you'll see a list of the newest drivers for your laptop.  You can run them manually, if you like; or just link me the page and I can check the dates on the various drivers.  The download page doesn't have any information specific to your own laptop, just the model, but HP makes it very difficult to know whether you're looking at the correct page without a computer's serial number.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 45 (1,262 Views)

★ Guide

Wish you the best of lucks, I've tried to get some decent help from EA with no success. 

More than "help" (me doing things compromising my computer's hardware and software) I need EA to do its thing and fix whatever is affecting my game because I am not the only one, and even if I was, I think I should simply get what I paid for.

Please let me know if you come to fix it, thank you @LunaLucy2211 

Good luck!

Message 3 of 45 (1,229 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

Hi @puzzlezaddict I've done everything you've told me to here's the link to the website https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-da0000-laptop-pc/20395828/model/22757778?sku=...   

I'm not that good at computers xD. Thanks for helping me out. Do I run Sims now or what do I do. Sorry for the late response, Lucy

Message 4 of 45 (1,201 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@paolaelectra Thanks! I'll let you know what happens Standard smile
Message 5 of 45 (1,200 Views)

@LunaLucy2211  There is a new driver for your graphics chip, and it may be enough to install it, along with the other steps you took.  (By the way, what did sfc /scannow say when it finished?)  Go to the same driver download site you linked, and specifically download "Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver - Kaby Lake/Gemini Lake."  (The other Intel driver is for an older processor/graphics chip, and your laptop doesn't have an Nvidia card.)  When you double-click the download, you'll see on-screen instructions for installing.

Restart your computer, and test the game.  If it still lags, move your entire Sims 4 user data folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, then test again.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content, so this is a useful test to see whether there's some issue with your old user data folder.

If you still get lag even in a clean Sims 4 folder, please run another dxdiag.

Message 6 of 45 (1,149 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi @puzzlezaddict . So I was nearly finished installing the graphics card and then a message popped up on my screen saying ''Sorry we have encountered an error we need to restart'' So just let it do it's thing but is the card installed now because I don't know if it finished downloading or not? And I can't remember what the message says Frown It was something like ''we have found no corrupt files'' anyway so yeah what do I do now?   

Thanks Standard smile

Message 7 of 45 (1,121 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict So I just went into Sims and it said ''Your graphics card was missing so we put your graphic settings to the highest setting possible and it was SO laggy. Please help! I don't know what to do
Message 8 of 45 (1,116 Views)

@LunaLucy2211  My guess would be that the new driver didn't install, and now you don't have a proper GPU driver at all.  But please run a new dxdiag so I can see.

Message 9 of 45 (1,079 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I think it did download because my Sims isn't laggy in build mode but it is a bit laggy in live mode

Message 10 of 45 (1,056 Views)