Sims 4 greyed out on Origin

by Loubear91

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 greyed out on Origin

★★★ Newbie

Hi All!

I downloaded and intalled Sims 4 yesterday via Origin.

Racked up a few hours of gameplay yesterday evening, no issues, no bugs and no error messages. All seemed to be working perfectly fine..until...

I opened Origin this morning to find that my brand new (rather pricey) game is unplayable for some reason. It appears to be greyed out on my game files and the play button is also greyed out. Now I checked for updates, restarted Origin, restarted the comupter fully and then even tried to load straight from the computers game file itself. Nothing!!! So I uninstalled, thinking maybe there was a glitch..

I went back into Origin to see if anything had changed, as I expected nothing had, so right clicked on the game and selected the repair option..this then went to repair but paused and wouldnt let me do anything further. So I uninstalled, thinking maybe there was a glitch.. when I went to re-install the game it decided to  re-download the whole thing..... I am now having to RE DOWNLOAD a game I have paid for, waited hours for and even played?!

Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone help me?

I've never had any issues with Origin doing this before and my boyfriends computer is fully up to date with everything the game requires and even more!

Message 1 of 21 (6,974 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 greyed out on Origin

EA DICE Team

@JamZEE124

I couldn't find Sims 4 on the account you posted on. Due to this I was unable to check if this is related to an issue with your order. Meanwhile you can try to clear your Origin cache. When done, run Origin as administrator

If clearing the cache doesn't help, please contact a Game Advisor to have them check your order status.

View in thread

Message 16 of 21 (3,415 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time with it, and thanks for giving detailed steps.

From what I can see on my end, your game seems to be fine. If the issue persists after the reinstall, can you try relaunching Origin as an administrator, to start? Can you try downloading another game(Bejewelled 3 is small and currently free, so would be a perfect candidate) and test if that has issues?

It might also be worth removing and re-adding the game and Origin to your exceptions lists for your Firewall and Anti-virus, in case your security software is acting up.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 21 (6,921 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have the same problem, but mines happen after the lastest update for the Sims 4. After the game finish installing the update its greyed out and I tried every thing and its still greyed out..

Can someone please help!

Message 3 of 21 (6,915 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi David, 

I have just re-installed the game and it is now allowing the option to play again, lets hope it doesnt happen again when I exit the game.

My concern is mainly based with Origin itself, having just spoken to one of their Live Chat people and getting no where at all, I am totally gobsmacked at their customer service. I have wasted hours with this and lost game data which is frustrating but they just don't seem to give a damn and cannot provide me with an answer as to why my game was greyed out.

The guy on the other end wasnt helpful in anyway shape or form, in fact he gave me no advice just asked me standard questions about my platform etc.

He then left the conversation after saying he needed to log off for a moment to reload his details etc.....that was the end of his so called "help".

I am angry that after spending a sum of money on a game, that I have no being able to play, I am still left without an answer or a proper resolution to my problem. If this occurs again, I will be asking for a full refund.

Maybe EA need to give the guys at Origin a good kick, get their customer service up to scratch and actually give their users some answers instead of mindless comments that are a complete waste of time.

I am dissapointed to say the least.Confusedmileymad:

Message 4 of 21 (6,910 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I must also point out, that having played the Sims on and off for years - Origin is the worst thing to happen to it.

Though, I have other Sims games on the Origin server and none of them have ever had this problem.

Message 5 of 21 (6,911 Views)

Community Manager

Loubear, thank you for the update, and I'm sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience. If your issue returns, please let us know.

Lovlyb, if the steps at the start of the thread don't work, can you check the marked solution here, it may help?

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/Sims-4-button-greyed-out/td-p/3461659

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 21 (6,904 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

After the latest large patch for Sims 4, I went into Options to check nothing had reverted to default and I find the Gameplay Option is greyed out.  Any idea why and how I can deal with this?

Edited to say sorry, I understand now that I need to be in live mode. Please ignore

Message 7 of 21 (6,827 Views)

Community Manager

@maggidesto Hey, just so I understand, was your issue resolved by going online?

If so, sorry for not checking that first, and thanks for the update.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 8 of 21 (6,818 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

It was resolved by going into the game and playing in live mode - from which I was able to access the Gameplay Option Confusedmileylol:

Message 9 of 21 (6,785 Views)

Community Manager

Ah I think I get you now. Thanks again for the update.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 10 of 21 (6,773 Views)