Re: Sims 4 game doesn't start.

by Phantomlover1717

Original Post

Sims 4 game doesn't start.

★★★ Newbie

Yesterday, I installed the Sims 4, and I've had no trouble playing it up until now. Earlier today, I saved and exited the game, and everything went smoothly. But now, the game won't open. (I didn't do anything on my computer between now and the last time I played. I literally closed the game, turned off my computer, left for an hour, then turned my computer back on and tried to open the game.) I've tried opening Origin, and the "play" button for the Sims is sort of greyed out, and when I click it, nothing happens. I tried right-clicking on the game to repair it, but the "repair" function is greyed out as well. I tried doing a clean boot, and it didn't help (although I'll admit I'm not 100% certain that I did it right.) The game was working perfectly just 2 hours ago, and I have no idea what could have caused this.

Message 1 of 10 (591 Views)

Could you try updating the game in Origin, or if that doesn't work cleaning the cache out: http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-origin-cache-files/

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 10 (587 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The "update game" button is greyed out, and even after reading the article you linked me to, I'm not quite sure how to clear my cache. The article tells me what to delete, but doesn't tell me where to go to delete it, so I don't know where these files are located.

Message 3 of 10 (579 Views)

Follow the path, like with C:\ProgramData\Origin. Go to your Computer folder, and follow from there. C -> ProgramData -> Origin. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 4 of 10 (577 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The article says specifically not to delete C:\ProgramData\Origin\LocalContent, and I don't see that in this folder. Am I in the wrong folder? And what should I delete?

(Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing so I don't mess this up.)

Message 5 of 10 (572 Views)

Could be you need to unhide folder: https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-7

You can hide them again when you're done.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 6 of 10 (547 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you, that helped a lot! Just to clarify, I'm supposed to delete everything in this folder except for the highlighted item in this photo, right?

Message 7 of 10 (541 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I tried to understand the directions the article gave me, and I think I ended up making it worse? I deleted everything inside all the folders that ended in "cache", and now Origin won't open either. I'm honestly starting to panic, because I just got this computer two days ago and I've already broken it. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing or what caused this.

Message 8 of 10 (523 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Update: Origin is now working. I have no idea what I did to make it work but I'm not complaining. It finally let me "repair" the game. The game still won't open, but at least it gives me this error message. It didn't do that before.

Message 9 of 10 (517 Views)

That's good, give a reboot of your computer a try. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 10 of 10 (513 Views)