Re: Sims 4 freezing in build mode

by XRaiderV17

Original Post

Sims 4 freezing in build mode

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I'm having the exact same problem. no mods installed and just updated, and got ten minutes in(arguing with making stairwell in build mode) and it locked up(read, the modern version of a crash) and I'm presently running file verification.

mods, if needs be I'll open my own thread for this.

edited title for new thread.  -puzzlezaddict

Message 1 of 12 (517 Views)

@XRaiderV17  I split your post into its own thread to keep things simpler.  If the repair/verification doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

And let me know if you happen to have a Steam install.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 12 (494 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict working the direct x diagnostics now, no steam install, installed through origin.
Message 3 of 12 (488 Views)

★★ Apprentice

dx diag file attached.

Message 4 of 12 (487 Views)

@XRaiderV17  Did the repair not help?  If not, in case this is a user data issue, please try playing in a clean user folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet.   Just start a new save—no need to spend much time in CAS, since this is just for testing—and go back into build mode to see whether you get another crash.

In case you're interested, you can save whatever build you create in the new folder and transfer it back to the old Sims 4 folder, or move your old content to the new folder.  Point is, either way, you can keep the build you create while testing, that is if you want to.

If you get a crash even in the clean folder, please try playing in a clean boot.  There are a number of errors in your dxdiag that might crash Sims 4, but without timestamps, it's difficult to tell which errors, if any, are actually related.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

Once you've rebooted, be sure to go through the Task Manager's background processes list and shut down anything that doesn't need to be running.  These days, a number of apps, anything from MSI Afterburner to RGB software, don't get disabled in a clean boot.  And please don't open any apps aside from Origin and Sims 4, at least for now.

Message 5 of 12 (472 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I'll try it post repair first thing in the morning as I'm not home at present and dont expect to be until late.

Message 6 of 12 (470 Views)

@XRaiderV17  No worries, take your time.

Message 7 of 12 (468 Views)

★★ Apprentice

welp..I just spent 20 minutes in game putzing about with an enclosed passage to my theatre room and then a roof. no freezing post game repair.

....still cannot, however, for the life of me, build an enclosed multi story stairwell. Disappointed

Message 8 of 12 (437 Views)

@XRaiderV17  Does the game crash when you try to create the stairwell, or does it just not cooperate with what you're trying to do?  If it's the latter, I'm not a builder and really wouldn't know how to help, but I can try to find someone who is.  All I could think of is creating a separate couple of rooms for the stairs, stacked on top of each other and removing the floor and ceiling in between stories.

Message 9 of 12 (430 Views)

★★ Apprentice

its just a case of an uncooperative part in the case of the staircase.

Message 10 of 12 (428 Views)