Re: Sims 4 freezes on new laptop

by tomhighlander

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 freezes on new laptop

★ Novice

I just got a new laptop and ever since I downloaded it, my Sims 4 game with no mods or custom content has been freezing in CAS, gameplay, and more recently on the home screen. The game does not crash and after a few minutes, reloads and begins to work again for a minute or two and then freezes again. I just want to determine whether the issue is with the game itself or my laptop. I have already tried resetting my files and repairing the game in Origin. I attached the DxDiag of my laptop below. 

Message 1 of 4 (3,202 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

I tend to default to "it's the laptop" just because I recommend playing on a desktop as they have more power. Do you have game packs installed? Did you try going to Origin console and repairing the game from there?

Those are the fixes that I could think of.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (3,150 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

I tend to default to "it's the laptop" just because I recommend playing on a desktop as they have more power. Do you have game packs installed? Did you try going to Origin console and repairing the game from there?

Those are the fixes that I could think of.

Message 2 of 4 (3,151 Views)

@tomhighlander  Your laptop's hardware is strong enough to run Sims 4 on medium settings without a problem.  But there are a couple different types of crashes in your dxdiag that could account for the issues you've described.  First, the Xbox Gaming overlay is throwing errors.  The simplest solution is to disable it.  Hit Windows key-i, select Gaming, then disable Game Bar.

The driver for your graphics chip is also crashing.  It's best to to do a clean uninstall of the driver and then download the newest version offered by Acer.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3216

Go to the download page for your laptop and download the VGA driver:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/EE/content/support-product/8338?b=1

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then Intel if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Your computer will restart, and once it does, install the new driver.  Reboot again, go back online, and test the game.  If you're still seeing the same issues, let me know.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 4 (3,131 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you for the advice! I actually figured out that the graphics my game defaulted to when I re-downloaded it were just not right for my new laptop, so I had to adjust them and so far have not had any issues.

Message 4 of 4 (3,073 Views)