Sims 4 files saves under "My Documents"

by CharlieTheSalty

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 files saves under "My Documents"

★★★★ Novice

As the title says. 
For some reason the game files such as Mods, Saves, Screenshots etc gets saved under "My Documents". 
Is there a way to change this, and have it save with the rest of the files? 

I don't want anything game related but my main games to take up room of my SSD (OS disk) and it's doing my head in. 
I've set all of the settings to use my D disk, including a clean re-install of Origin and the game, but the second I open the game, the Electronic Arts folder appear again. 

Can't seem to find a fix anywhere. 

Message 1 of 4 (1,106 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 files saves under "My Documents"

Hero (Retired)

@CharlieTheSalty  This is hard coded into the game so you have to solve this issue with the operating system. There is an advanced operating system feature called symbolic link. There is a GUI to create the link or you can use command line. Here is a link for how to - how to create a symbolic link   I don't recommend using advanced features unless you are and advanced user. This is why you need to learn it yourself so you can understand what it does.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (1,128 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@CharlieTheSalty  This is hard coded into the game so you have to solve this issue with the operating system. There is an advanced operating system feature called symbolic link. There is a GUI to create the link or you can use command line. Here is a link for how to - how to create a symbolic link   I don't recommend using advanced features unless you are and advanced user. This is why you need to learn it yourself so you can understand what it does.

Message 2 of 4 (1,129 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Just move "My Documents" to your D: drive it is easy. Google "How to move My documents to another drive".

Microsoft specifies that games should save user files to My Documents. This is to make it easier to make backups

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 3 of 4 (1,084 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I see. That would explain the lack of solutions to be found online Standard smile
Thank you for your prompt reply!

Message 4 of 4 (1,067 Views)