Sims 4 crashing all the time

by simbamboo

Original Post

Sims 4 crashing all the time

★★★★★ Novice

Hey everyone! I'm back with my crash problem. My game crashes constantly (it barely runs for 15 minutes straight) and I don't know what more to do. This problem seems to only occur on my new pc (when I played on my old laptop it ran fine). I have tried with and without mods, cleared my cache, clean reinstalled origin and reinstalled Sims 4, deleted my Electronic Arts folder, tried new saves, uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics driver and updated Windows but it still crashes all the time. It mostly seems to happen in build mode, but a few times it also happened when playing.

I think this started happening after the latest update or the previous one, because when I first got this pc the game ran just fine and I played a lot. I have all the packs installed if that helps.

Here's my dxdiag and lastcrash:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17aCyMO32AFtq4uNNKxvf95oYcI6LksSq/view?usp=sharing 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sVE7ZG0f_P8cRGapfuKprWxc4hOMcyoG/view?usp=sharing 

Sorry about uploading them to google drive, for some reason it wouldn't let me upload here! & hope someone can help, thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 20 (617 Views)

Re: Sims 4 crashing all the time

@simbamboo  Please try playing with all Razer software disabled; you can do so through the Task Manager.  Your mouse should work anyway, but if it doesn't, just let me know.  When you end a normal background service through the Task Manager, it should restart the next time you reboot, so don't worry about any side-effects.

If that doesn't help, I'd like to see a crash dump from the game.  You can set your system to generate one and then upload it.

• Hit the Windows key, type "command prompt" in the box, right-click on Command Prompt in the search results, and select Run as Administrator
  • In the window, paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" without the outside quotes into the box, and enter
  • Launch Sims 4 and play until it crashes
  • After it crashes, wait for any crash dialogs to finish
  • Then hit Windows key-R and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" without quotes into the box, and enter
  • Upload the last .dmp file to Google Drive (or wherever you want) and link it
  • When you want to undo the auto crash log dumps, open Command Prompt as before, paste "reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f" without the outside quotes, and enter.
——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 20 (605 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I tried playing with Razer softwares disabled, but it still crashed!

Here's the .dmp file you requested:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kX6MVvK0c304EHuyTP9y1KY0K3009O0d/view?usp=sharing 

Message 3 of 20 (591 Views)

@simbamboo  The crash dump doesn't have any particularly interesting information in it: Sims 4 crashed because it crashed.  Just as a test, because it's worked for two other people today for no reason I've been able to figure out, please try playing in a new user account on your computer.  Make it an admin account, and use only English-language letters and numbers, no special symbols, and no characters or accents that you wouldn't find in English.  (Those should be fine of course, especially in a non-English version of Windows, but every once in a while they're not.)  Don't transfer any of your Sims 4 content to the new user account yet; just see how a new save runs.

If that doesn't help, please try playing in a clean boot.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

Please also let me know what you did when you uninstalled and reinstalled your graphics driver: whether you did a normal uninstall or used an application like Display Driver Uninstaller.

Message 4 of 20 (569 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I did a normal uninstall of the graphics driver, and installed it again from geforce experience (don't understand a whole lot about computers unfortunately!)

I'll do what you suggested and see if it works, will post here again then.

Message 5 of 20 (563 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Hey! So it seems creating a new user account and playing with that solved the issue. I haven't had any crashes since. No idea what in the other account is causing the crashes... I did make the new one a local one instead of signing in with Microsoft, don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for the help!

Message 6 of 20 (536 Views)

@simbamboo  That's interesting.  Does your old account have a special character in it?  Someone else mentioned that their old account had an @ because it used an older email address, but they made the newer one with just letters and/or numbers.

Message 7 of 20 (516 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict No it doesn't. The problem also returned lol

Started crashing on the new account as well, so I did a clean windows reinstall and it's STILL crashing. I'm now wondering if it could be related to McAfee because it's been causing problems with some of my games before, so I'll look into that.

EDIT: 

Alright, it's not McAfee either. I don't know what to do at this point. lol

Message 8 of 20 (490 Views)

[ Edited ]

@simbamboo  Do you have OneDrive enabled?  If so, please disable it entirely and test.

Do you have a cleaner app installed on your computer?  Is Windows set to compress files, either in the Sims 4 user data folder (or somewhere in the Documents directory) or in general?  This is how you'd apply it:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-ntfs-compression-windows-10

But it could cause problems with Sims 4 content.

Message 9 of 20 (468 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I've completely uninstalled onedrive, so that shouldn't be it. I have no cleaner app and it looks like Windows isn't set to compress files.

I'll include a fresh dxdiag in case that's any help...

I'm starting to wonder if my pc is somehow broken (I just got it maybe a month ago!).

Message 10 of 20 (464 Views)