Re: Sims 4 crashes

by reebeckaaz

Original Post

Sims 4 crashes

★★★★★ Novice

Hi!

I have a problem with Sims 4 constantly crashing. I am running the game smoothly and then suddenly, the game windows just quits. I play with no mods and my computer meets all specs. I have tried several times to repair and reinstall the game as well as Origin and EA Games (I have tried both platforms) and the problem remains.

Message 1 of 21 (1,303 Views)

@reebeckaaz  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know whether you've noticed any pattern to what's happening in-game at the time of a crash, for example you're playing in a particular world, or your sims go to travel or switch outfits, or you're always on a community lot.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 21 (1,276 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi!

I have not noticed any pattern as to what is happing in-game at the time of the crash. Perhaps that I have most commonly been in live mode rather than build/buy mode, though there could be exceptions because the game has crashed so many times and I cannot remember all the specifics unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 21 (1,239 Views)

@reebeckaaz  Please clear Origin's cache and repair the game again.  Even though you've repaired before, it's worth forcing Origin to refresh its data first.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

If you get another crash, please try playing with Origin in offline mode.  You won't be able to access the Gallery, but everything else in-game should be the same.

If that doesn't help either, please move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just start a new save and see how it runs.  Please play in one of the base game worlds.  You can send your sims traveling, but avoid San Myshuno and Henford for now.

Message 4 of 21 (1,233 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have tried playing now for a little bit, starting from your instructions. I cleared Origin's cache and repaired the game. I also moved the Sims 4 folder out from the start.

I started a new save in the game and moved into Willow Creek. I have stayed out of San Myshuno and Henford per your instructions.

The first time I tried playing, I was playing online. The game crashed only after a few minutes in game. I had not had any time to travel at that point. In fact, it was just shortyly after the welcome wagon event had ended. There were still 3 other sims on my lot due to this, though the event (as I said) was not active anymore. My sim was in front of the mirror practicing debate and the game was going in 3x speed when it crashed all of a sudden. The game just shut down as has always been the case when this happen.

Therefore, I then followed your advice on playing offline. I have now been able to play for 30 minutes consecutively, which is nice! It does not mean that it won't crash, as I have been able to play for such intervalls before without crashes and then suddenly the crashes has started again. I will keep playing (though not today) and will return to make more reports in the upcoming days. I will make sure to keep note of what I am doing in-game if crashes occur and I will keep playing in offline mode.

Message 5 of 21 (1,181 Views)

@reebeckaaz  That's definitely progress.  If you want to test more, try playing online again, with the game in windowed mode, and open the Task Manager in the background so you can see your computer's CPU use.  Origin used to have an issue where it would spike CPU use up to 100% at times, and the only workaround was putting it in offline mode.  If you happen to see any other resource running at close to max, please let me know that as well; other than during the initial load, Sims 4 shouldn't come close to maxing out any of your components.

Message 6 of 21 (1,173 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you for the suggestion! I have tried playing a little bit again now. In online mode per your suggestion, keeping track of the computer's CPU use. I have experienced two crashed in about 40 minutes of gameplay.

The first crash took place at the Willow Creek library where my sim was writing term papers on the computer. The game was on 3x speed. CPU use at time of crash was around 28%. At that point, I had played for maybe 10 minutes.

The second crash took place in my sim's home in Willow Creek, as she was sleeping. The game was going in full speed. CPU use was around 25%. This crash happened approx. 30 minutes after the first one.

So the CPU-thing does not seem to be the problem, because I could never see any spikes to 100% or anything near that. Still, I will try playing in offline mode now and see what happens.

Message 7 of 21 (1,156 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I just experienced another crash, this time in offline mode. The sim was in her house in Willow Creek, eating. Unfortunately, I do not know the CPU use this time. Game was going at 3x speed.
Message 8 of 21 (1,146 Views)

@reebeckaaz  Well, that's frustrating.  I'm pretty sure CPU use isn't the issue here since it's nowhere near 100% even when Origin is in online mode.  The next step would be to try playing in a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

When you reboot, go through the Task Manager's background processes list shutting down anything that doesn't absolutely need to be running, for example RGB software or MSI Afterburner.  To be as thorough as possible, please test in a clean Sims 4 user folder (move the existing folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop to let the game spawn a new one), and play both with Origin in offline mode and while your computer is offline.

You can just let the game run if you want; no need to put effort into a save that you might not use again.  If everything is fine, you can start adding back other functions, for example putting your computer back online. and then trying an existing save.  (In that case, copy the save to the new Sims 4 folder.)  Please do one thing at a time so that if you get another crash, it's more likely that we know the cause.

Additionally, please post some basic info from your next crash; you can find it in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day.  Right-click on an entry and select "View technical details," then copy the info and paste it into a reply.

You can ignore the earlier crashes; I'm interested in the ones that happen after you do all of the above.  Look for errors both that mention Origin or Sims 4 and that have a timestamp that matches the crash.  If you see more than one, that's fine, more info is better.

Message 9 of 21 (1,130 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you for helping me, it is much appreciated.

I followed the instructions and made a clean boot of my computer. Then, I removed the Sims 4 folder again (so a new one had to spawn) and played with my computer and Origin in offline mode.

I was first able to do a session of 1,5 hours gameplay without any crashes, so I was hopeful that this was going in the right direction.

However, I sat down around 20-30 minutes ago again to play some more and just experienced a crash. I was playing with a sim in Willow Creek again (though new save as I had removed the old Sims 4 folder) and I believe that she was either on her computer or doing her university homework at the time of the crash. The game was in 3x speed. The crash log (per your instructions) follows below:

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4_x64.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TS4_x64.exe
Application Version: 1.87.40.1030
Application Timestamp: 62505ca1
Fault Module Name: TS4_x64.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.87.40.1030
Fault Module Timestamp: 62505ca1
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000119be07
OS-version: 10.0.22000.2.0.0.256.48
Språkvariant-ID: 1053