Sims 4 crashes my computer

by Kay4791

Original Post

Sims 4 crashes my computer

★★★★ Novice

My sims 4 game keeps crashing. the first time it crashed i got the BSOD. Upon restarting I restarted the game and about 10 mins in the game crashed again. Attached is the DxDiag can anyone help me out...

Message 1 of 4 (360 Views)

Re: Sims 4 crashes my computer

@Kay4791  I've moved your post to the Sims 4 PC tech section.

The particular BlueScreens you're getting, or at least the ones listed in your dxdiag, are often related to a bad graphics driver, or to a problem with the graphics card.  There are also a few errors that definitely point to the driver, although again the problem can be the card and not the driver itself.  So you'll need to install a new GPU driver; if that doesn't help, you can clean uninstall and reinstall instead.

First though, it's a good idea to run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files, since the other listed errors have to do with Windows itself.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

If sfc reports it found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them, stop here and let me know.  Otherwise, restart your computer and manually run any pending Windows updates.  Hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.

You can get a new driver for your graphics card here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

It's best to install the newest recommended driver, in this case the one from May 26, as opposed to the newer optional one.

If you need to clean uninstall and reinstall the driver, here's how:

Spoiler

Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3216

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then AMD if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."

If the game still crashes after all this, please run another dxdiag and attach it to a reply.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (326 Views)

★★★★ Novice

This the result of the DISM log and the sfc

Message 3 of 4 (299 Views)

@Kay4791  Try running this command, again in the Administrator version of PowerShell:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup

Then run sfc again, and then .../RestoreHealth again, and let me know how it goes.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (235 Views)