Re: Sims 4 crashes/deletes itself upon launch?

by bald_white_m4n

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 crashes/deletes itself upon launch?

★ Novice

Sup, I downloaded TS4 today after a long time of not playing. Mods were already taken out. I started the game, but before I could reach the Maxis logo, the game crashed. Afterwards, the shortcut on my desktop immediately got "moved or deleted" so it was useless. Game wouldn't launch at all from Origin either.

I reinstalled Sims 4. Subsequently got a new shortcut. Same thing happened -- no matter where I launched it from (Origin or desktop), the game would crash and the shortcut would become useless. There's no other "hidden" shortcut either. I cleared the Origin cache. No change.

I reinstalled Origin. Nothing changed. I've looked everywhere but it seems no one has quite the same particular issue I have. I reinstalled TS4 about 4 times now, reinstalled Origin twice, restarted my PC several times ...

I have a lot of expansion packs, could that be the issue? As I said, mods are already out. I have the necessary PC requirements for the game. I really have no idea what to do.

Message 1 of 6 (551 Views)

Accepted Solution

@bald_white_m4n  It's generally not a good idea to run more than one antivirus program at the same time.  Malwarebytes is fine if you're only using the free version to occasionally run a manual scan, but it would be better if you chose one of the two others and got rid of the third entirely.

Whichever one you choose to keep, try setting exceptions for Origin.exe and TS4_x64.exe, so the antivirus doesn't try to block either one.

Having said that, a component of Origin is crashing over and over, so start by doing a clean uninstall and reinstall:

• Quit Origin, then right-click on the Task Bar and open the Task Manager.  Scroll through looking for Origin entries.  If you find any, click on them and End Task.
  • Clear Origin's cache.
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Origin from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • When it finishes uninstalling, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • If Revo finds any remaining registry entries, select all, delete, and click Next.
  • Revo will display "Remaining Data and Folders."  Select all of them except for the "Origin Games" folder, if it appears.  (This is where Sims 4 and other Origin games are installed by default.)  Delete the rest.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

Next, download the full Origin installer and run it.  Here's the direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Be sure to run both the installer and Origin itself as an admin: right-click on each and select "Run as Administrator."

If you still get a crash, leave Origin running, then open the Task Manager, scroll through the background processes list to the Origin Client Service and Origin Web Helper Service, end both tasks, and try to play.  Restarting Origin after doing this will likely also restart the two processes, so be sure to check the Task Manager again if you happen to close Origin or restart your computer.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (520 Views)

All Replies

@bald_white_m4n  What antivirus program do you use?  Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 6 (547 Views)

★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  here's the dxdiag:

Message 3 of 6 (542 Views)

★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  I use Emsisoft Anti Malware + Malwarebytes + Comodo Antivirus

Message 4 of 6 (541 Views)

@bald_white_m4n  It's generally not a good idea to run more than one antivirus program at the same time.  Malwarebytes is fine if you're only using the free version to occasionally run a manual scan, but it would be better if you chose one of the two others and got rid of the third entirely.

Whichever one you choose to keep, try setting exceptions for Origin.exe and TS4_x64.exe, so the antivirus doesn't try to block either one.

Having said that, a component of Origin is crashing over and over, so start by doing a clean uninstall and reinstall:

• Quit Origin, then right-click on the Task Bar and open the Task Manager.  Scroll through looking for Origin entries.  If you find any, click on them and End Task.
  • Clear Origin's cache.
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Origin from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • When it finishes uninstalling, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • If Revo finds any remaining registry entries, select all, delete, and click Next.
  • Revo will display "Remaining Data and Folders."  Select all of them except for the "Origin Games" folder, if it appears.  (This is where Sims 4 and other Origin games are installed by default.)  Delete the rest.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

Next, download the full Origin installer and run it.  Here's the direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Be sure to run both the installer and Origin itself as an admin: right-click on each and select "Run as Administrator."

If you still get a crash, leave Origin running, then open the Task Manager, scroll through the background processes list to the Origin Client Service and Origin Web Helper Service, end both tasks, and try to play.  Restarting Origin after doing this will likely also restart the two processes, so be sure to check the Task Manager again if you happen to close Origin or restart your computer.

Message 5 of 6 (521 Views)

★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  The game's running again! Thank you so much! I was really at a loss of what to do here

Message 6 of 6 (500 Views)