Re: Sims 4 crashes CPU driver/makes PC restart

by Holger1405

Original Post

Sims 4 crashes GPU driver/makes PC restart

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

About two weeks ago I installed a couple of new EPs (Seasons, Get Famous, Bundle Pack 5 & 6) after not having played the game for over a year. When I last played the game back then, everything was fine - no crashes, no freezes, nothing.

But for the last two weeks 50% of the time the game crashes the gpu driver. The problems starts right after loading into the main menu: The screen turns black and when it's back, a message pops up, saying that the driver has crashed. This repeats every 5-10 seconds until I close the game. If I then try to play a different game, it happens with that game too. Only restarting my PC fixes it.

Just now I had the same problem again and this time Sims 4 even made my PC reboot on its own!

I've never had any problems with any other games with crashes like that - Sims 4 is the only Origin game I play, the others usually use Steam - it's always Sims 4 that causes it initially and only then it's affecting other games too.

PC specs:

- Win 7 (64 bit)

- i7-3770k (no OC) - still using the same driver as a year ago (if it ain't broke...)

- nVidia GTX 1070 (no OC)

- 16gb DDR3 RAM

I always use the 64bit version of Sims 4, it's completely patched and I am using mods but, like I said, the problem occurs right in the main menu.

I can't re-install the game completely because the download speed of EA's servers is really bad (250kb/s if I get lucky) and it would take me multiple days!

I've read similar posts with suggested solutions of overheating or running out of RAM but the other games I play regularly (e.g. Ark, which is a graphics-wh*re) are way more demanding than the main menu hardware-wise and I've never had any problems or crashes with them (apart from the ones Sims 4 is causing).

Has anyone got any idea what's causing this and how I can fix it?

Message 1 of 14 (1,836 Views)

@Nathipha 

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply.

If you use Windows 7 also go to your Reliability monitor > Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time and copy and paste or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in the new Window > hit “ENTER” and look if it has entries for the game you have trouble with.

If yes double click at the last entry for the game executable, copy the info to the clipboard, and save it to a text file.

Perf.png

You can attach the DxDiag text file you created (and the “Reliability monitor” text file as well) to your post in the “Reply” window with the “Choose File” button. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 14 (1,828 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Holger1405 

First of all: Thanks for your reply!

Sorry, I'm not comfortable posting that much information about e.g. my HDDs. What infos in the DxDiag file do you need exactly?

Reliability monitor: There's no entry for the game (for none of the GPU driver crashes), there are "only" multiple "gpu error" ones and an additional single "windows stopped working" one for today.

Message 3 of 14 (1,817 Views)

@Nathipha 

@Nathipha wrote:

Sorry, I'm not comfortable posting that much information about e.g. my HDDs. What infos in the DxDiag file do you need exactly?

Then I am sorry as well, but I won't to be able to helps you with this.

There is nothing in a DxDiag that I, or anyone else for that matter, could use to harm you or your computer in any way.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 4 of 14 (1,807 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Holger1405 

Thanks for restoring the post!

You can find a slightly edited version here.

I'm aware that the gpu driver is 1.5 years old but it took multiple months to find one that let me access the nVidia control panel, so I'd rather not mess with it.

Message 5 of 14 (1,794 Views)

@Nathipha 

If you feel more comfortable discussing this in German, we could move this thread to the German section.   

After a (very) short look at the DxDiag I see some problems.

The first is of course the very old driver.

That the NVIDIA control panel is not working with other drivers is a indicator of severe problems by itself. 

Then the DxDiag only recognises 3GB VRam at your 1070, a card with 8GB VRam.

(You should set your Predator to 60Hz as long as we troubleshot)

How many space do you have free on the C: drive?

Last but not least, a Windows 7 DxDiag doesn't contain WER error reports, that's what the paragraph in my previous post was for.

I need all driver, Origin or game related error reports from the Reliability monitor.

If you feel more comfortable you could PM me this reports, but I simply need them. 

Message 6 of 14 (1,767 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Holger1405 

I don't mind writing in English - your choice. Wink

I tested multiple driver versions and the control panel's always been buggy, I'm not the only one with this problem but nobody knows how to fix it. It's working with the current version and I've never had any problems with the game until I installed the new packs (or maybe it's a patch that's causing it? No idea).

Uhoh, that's not good and pretty weird too. I checked MSI Afterburner when I got the gpu and I'm pretty sure I would have done something if it'd been like that. But you're right, I checked again and it only says "3072".

Sometimes more, sometimes less, currently it's about 20gb. Origin and Sims 4 are installed on G:/ though, only the mods and savegames are stored on C:/.

There are no error reports from Origin or Sims 4 in the reliability monitor, it's only the "gpu error" and "windows stopped working" ones. They are an indication when the problem happened but that's it.

Message 7 of 14 (1,756 Views)

@Nathipha 

Nathipha wrote:

I don't mind writing in English - your choice. Wink

Then lets stay here.

Nathipha wrote:

Uhoh, that's not good and pretty weird too. I checked MSI Afterburner when I got the gpu and I'm pretty sure I would have done something if it'd been like that. But you're right, I checked again and it only says "3072".

Could you test the GPU in another PC? Is there still warranty on that card?

Nathipha wrote:

There are no error reports from Origin or Sims 4 in the reliability monitor, it's only the "gpu error" and "windows stopped working" ones. They are an indication when the problem happened but that's it.

Then I would need the details about this errors.

Message 8 of 14 (1,751 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Holger1405 

Sigh of relief: Just checked in CPU-Z and it's showing the 8192mb there. Rightclick on desktop -> adjust screen resolution -> advanced also says 8gb.

There's a setting in Afterburner that sets the maximum shown vram and I changed that to 8gb. I'm still going to try one of the more hardware intensive games tomorrow with OSD on, just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that's just a bug in dxdiag.

I added the error messages to the beginning of the dxdiag pastepin.

Message 9 of 14 (1,724 Views)
Highlighted

@Nathipha 

The first error is a TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) error.

In simple terms, the graphic driver is not reacting in a from Windows predetermined time frame. (2 seconds) As a result Windows stops and then tries to recover the driver.

The task that was executed by the driver at this point, in your case TS4, crashes.

The second error is a Stop-Code error that is related to the first error. You got at least one BSOD because Windows was not able to recover the driver and therefore stopped the system to prevent further damage. 

This problem can have several reasons.

• The old driver you run.
  • Failing system cooling.
  • Overclocked hardware components. (Everything, from the GPU over the CPU to motherboard and RAM, even your 240Hz monitor could be the problem.)
    (Did you set the Monitor to 60hz?)
  • A failing PSU or failing components on the Motherboard and the GPU that are power related.
  • RAM configuration and timings.
  • Wrong BIOS settings.
  • A real hardware error.

To get further info about the real reason for this crash I would need the Memory dump (MEMORY.DMP) from under "C:\Windows"

Message 10 of 14 (1,685 Views)