Re: Sims 4 crash

by Blinkered1

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 crash

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi so my game keeps crashing randomly there is no pattern I have a few crash files and last exception files, not sure if its my custom content or something else

Please help!

Edit: I have attached my dxdiag and last crash files

Message 1 of 15 (836 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Blinkered1  There are a few non-Sims-related crashes in your dxdiag, and it might be helpful to run a couple of checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Once you're done, please manually run any pending Windows updates.  Hit Windows key-i, choose Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  If there are several pending, it might take a few tries (with restarts in between) to get them all to run.

If you still get game crashes, you can test whether the issue is custom content, your existing save(s), or something else by spawning a clean game folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop; a new folder will be created the next time you play.  You can test a new save first, then copy one of your existing saves to the new folder (copy and paste, don't drag and drop, so you have a backup), but don't add anything else to that folder.  That will give you an idea of where the problem is.

It's possible however that the game isn't going to run particularly well on your laptop.  Its hardware is weak for Sims 4, and even weaker for the most demanding expansion packs: Cats & Dogs and newer.  (Game and stuff packs are much less demanding.)  If the game still crashes in a new save in a clean folder, then there's not a whole lot you can do.  Just make sure to restart your computer before playing, and don't open any other apps alongside the game.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 15 (805 Views)

All Replies

@Blinkered1  There are a few non-Sims-related crashes in your dxdiag, and it might be helpful to run a couple of checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Once you're done, please manually run any pending Windows updates.  Hit Windows key-i, choose Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  If there are several pending, it might take a few tries (with restarts in between) to get them all to run.

If you still get game crashes, you can test whether the issue is custom content, your existing save(s), or something else by spawning a clean game folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop; a new folder will be created the next time you play.  You can test a new save first, then copy one of your existing saves to the new folder (copy and paste, don't drag and drop, so you have a backup), but don't add anything else to that folder.  That will give you an idea of where the problem is.

It's possible however that the game isn't going to run particularly well on your laptop.  Its hardware is weak for Sims 4, and even weaker for the most demanding expansion packs: Cats & Dogs and newer.  (Game and stuff packs are much less demanding.)  If the game still crashes in a new save in a clean folder, then there's not a whole lot you can do.  Just make sure to restart your computer before playing, and don't open any other apps alongside the game.

Message 2 of 15 (806 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Hi I tried the first part of what you said with powershell all that came up for the first one is image version: 10.0.18362.295 however with the sfc scan now (pasted as you put it) nothing came up im not sure why I did exactly what you said
Message 3 of 15 (779 Views)

@Blinkered1  Did DISM run all the way through?  If not, let me know.  Otherwise, please restart your computer and try running sfc /scannow again.  If nothing happens, please post a screenshot of what you see after trying.

Message 4 of 15 (771 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict no percentage came up for the DISM just said that image version I did leave for a while
Message 5 of 15 (767 Views)

@Blinkered1  Please post a screenshot of that then, as well as sfc.

Message 6 of 15 (763 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi ok so I restarted my laptop and it worked after the scan I got this message:

Message 7 of 15 (688 Views)

@Blinkered1  Okay, that's good, and I'm glad the restart fixed the issue.  You can move on to the other steps I mentioned earlier: run any pending Windows updates, do the clean folder test, etc.

Message 8 of 15 (660 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much!! Game runs so much better and no crashesStandard smile
Message 9 of 15 (647 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, Are you able to help me please?

My sims 4 game is crashing and is unplayable at this point! it happens within the first few minutes of game play. I don't understand computers or mods etc, so I'm unsure about all that stuff. I understand laptops may not run sims 4 well, however it has been working perfectly fine up until this morning. I completely deleted sims 4 from my computer and reinstalled it and it's still happening. I don't know what to do.

Message 10 of 15 (548 Views)