Re: Sims 4 can't start because of missing or damaged data

by JazzCouverso

Original Post

Sims 4 can't start because of missing or damaged data

★★★ Novice

Unable to start:

Cannot start because the required game data is missing or damaged.

Please try reinstalling the game. [85262c58:29f00e76:00000000]

This error occurs whenever I try to play The Sims 4. I've tried re-installing the game, and nothing changes. I have custom content in my game, and I moved all off it out and it still had the error. Some other people suggested deleting cache files and running CHKDSK and such but nothing works. I am a Sims fan at heart and have been devastated because my game has been like this for over 3 months and I really love the game. I don't want to restart my whole Sims game because I have done so much progress, and I have already tried something which ended up in me losing half of my custom content. I've also tried "http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling/ ". I renamed my Sims 4 folder to "The Sims 4_Backup" and when I tried to play the game, it still had the same error. Please help! Frown

Message 1 of 5 (16,543 Views)

Message 2 of 5 (16,523 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've tried that over 5 times. I find the custom content that causes the error, but when I put everything back, it still has the error. I updated my game and now my game works without custom content, but I need my custom content because I've used it on my sims and in my houses, and  it glitched for me when I accidentally deleted a package file in my Mods folder. Is there any way other than the 50/50 method that I can source bad package files or any specific files that causes the error?

Message 3 of 5 (16,512 Views)

Hero

It's probably a non-Sims 4 file. Like one that is for Sims 1, 2 or 3 and no, there's no other method. Maybe the file name can give you hints.

Also be aware that if you are using recolors, you'll also need the original items.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 5 (16,506 Views)

★★★★ Novice

i'm having a similar issue... only for me it works after repairing but everytime i turn my pc off and the next day start it up and want to play i have to repair it again as it gives me the same error... i am on windows 10 but i've been before my pc had a reset... and i never had this problem then even though i had a gigantic array of cc and mods... it truly confuses me as to why this keeps happening as having to keep repairing my game is such a pain

Message 5 of 5 (11,458 Views)