Sims 4 Won't launch (bought on steam)

by PumkynPie

Original Post

Sims 4 Won't launch (bought on steam)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hello,

I bought The Sims 4 back in early July. I've been enjoying playing it and have had no issues until now. The game won't start. I've tried repairing it, launching it on steam, launching it on Origin but its not opening. it's showing up on task manger but then it just disappears. At first I thought that I didn't have the system requirements but that can't be the cause as I've put in 120 hours into it at 50 - 60 fps constantly at medium settings. I have a lot of CC but I've tried removing all of them from the folder and still nothing. There isn't even any error messages like that so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Message 1 of 6 (38,468 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Won't launch (bought on steam)

Hero (Retired)
@PumkynPie

Step 1. Move The Sims4 folder from Documents to the desktop
Step 2. Fix the game in Origin
Origin/ My games library - right-click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.
Step 3. Turn on the game - a new game folder will be created and you will have two - one old on the desktop and one new
Step 4. Check if you still have this problem in the newly created game folder. Start a new game with random sims and play 5 minutes.
If the problem disappeared
Step 5. Delete in the new game folder following folders:
"saves" and Tray.
Step 6. Go to "The Sims 4" old folder and copy - your "saves " folder.
Step. 7. Paste this folder in a newly created game folder.
Step 8. Do the same with the Tray folder and TrayDeleteItems file if you have this file in the old folder on the desktop
Step 9. Check if there are newly updated version mods and CC you are using.
Then copy and paste your mods and CC from the old mods folder to the new one. First copy the scripts mods every time checking if the game is working properly. If you have a lot of CC try 50/50 method ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)
Step. 10. Launch the game and check if this problem disappeared in your old save
The last step - delete The Sims4 folder from the desktop.

If it will not work could you post your computer's DxDiag?
To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the text file to your post in the “Reply” window with the “Choose File” button.

I don't work for EA
Message 2 of 6 (38,441 Views)

★ Novice

Hi

the game ran until I started copying the old files

Message 3 of 6 (38,424 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@PumkynPie

Does the game stop working after pasting the saves folder or only after adding CC and mods? If it stops working after adding Saves folder, the reason is not the computer, but a broken Saves folder, most likely due to outdated CC or mods that were no longer compatible with the game after the update
If the game stops working after pasting the saves folder, it means that the old saves folder is broken and unfortunately cannot be repaired. The old library - the Tray folder can be left in the new game folder, but the old saves folder must be deleted.
Since probably some outdated mods or CC caused this, if you want to use mods and CC you have to find the culprit, otherwise when you put old mods into the game the new folders saves (which will be created after starting the game) will also break.

If the game only stops working after adding CC and mods to it, you need to find which mods and CCs are broken according to the method given in the first post.
You can also read this topic:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/FAQ-How-to-use-Mods-CC/td-p/8781409

Message 4 of 6 (38,418 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@PumkynPie    Did you link the Steam base game to Origin? hwo to link a Steam game to Origin - how to link Sim4 Steam to Origin.  Only the base game matters. Once linked the DLC should not matter.

Message 5 of 6 (23,778 Views)

Community Manager

Hey all,

This thread has gotten a little old now, so I've locked it to prevent any necro-posting.

If you're still needing help with this topic, please create a new thread and we'll take a look with you Standard smile 

solaire.png

Message 6 of 6 (23,710 Views)