Re: Sims 4 Won't Load?

by unahsims

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Won't Load?

★★ Novice

Hi; so a few months ago I accidentally corrupted my mods folder (I'm still so emo about this lol) but since then I've been very careful to take the mods folder out when updating, deleting the localthumbcache, making sure all of my mods are updated, etc. Everything has been working great, but after this last patch I am unable to open the Sims fully with my mods folder. It will go to the Sims logo page and then freeze there before giving me the rainbow spinner and it stops responding, making me have to force quit. When there are no mods in my game it loads up to the normal game menu fine.

I know for a fact that my mods are updated and that my mods folder wasn't in my game during any Origin or Sims update, and the last time it was corrupted I got a Mac popup physically telling me a file (or really all of the files lol) had been corrupted. I tried to repair the game and that didn't work, so now I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. If I can't salvage this mods folder I'm probably going to quit, I can't handle having to replace my mods folder again Frown

Anything I should try to do?

Thank you so much!

Message 1 of 8 (1,365 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Yes, @SheriGR  I did it today just as you laid out and it did not work. What did work, was duplicating the mods from my old folder and then pasting them into the new folder. The game loaded up properly once I did that. @Sashas0nic 

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (1,269 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion

@unahsims I'm sorry this has been frustrating. I know you have done some or all of the following, but can I please have you do it again, exactly as listed without skipping any steps?

• Exit your game then exit Origin. Please copy the Mods folder from your 'The Sims 4' folder onto your desktop (for future reference) then delete the Mods folder and the localthumbnailcache.package file in your 'The Sims 4' folder. Also delete any other folders in the 'Sims 4' folder with word cache in the name. Then restart the game and so that the game will re-create the folder.
  • Then run a game repair [ Open Origin, click 'Game Library' then right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game ]. Make sure to let it run until it has completed all repairs (it will do the base-game first, then run through each of your expansions/packs). After that, please see if the issue has stopped.

If this fixes the issue you can re-add your Mods/CC one at a time to see if one was conflicting with the function/causing the glitch - but do not re-add the old config file from the old mods folder, as it is possible for it to have become corrupted also. Once you have done the above you will know which Mod(s) is(are) causing the issue. This is where to begin. Hopefully it may only be one of them.

I know you said you checked that all of your Mods are updated. It is possible that someone did not catch all of the issues in their Mod update and they need to do further updates - if it is still causing issues. You could contact the creator of the Mod if you find this to be the case, and perhaps they will come out with a new update.

Please update us on whether this helped so that we know if this was the issue or if we need to do further troubleshooting. Thanks!

SheriGR Coffee cup I don’t work for EA

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 8 (1,351 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Hi @unahsims just checking that you'd seen this important post for Mac users recently regarding the 3rd Oct Update... and macOS Lion (10.7), if you have a different mac, you could also speed up the process of finding the culprit mod, by checking through your mods for what's broken/updated at the mod tracker list as well.

Message 3 of 8 (1,330 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi, @Sashas0nic I have seen the post, I am currently running macOS High Sierra (10.13.4). I checked through the broken/updated mods and I am all set in that regard, but the mods/CC I am currently testing are only CC. 

Message 4 of 8 (1,289 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi @SheriGR, I have tried this and while the game loads up without mods, when any mod is added it still gets stuck loading and then I have to force quit, as the Sims has stopped responding. 

Message 5 of 8 (1,287 Views)

Champion

@unahsims Did you go through and do the steps in my post - all of them - again this way? I'm not saying this will definitely solve it, but this is how to begin the troubleshooting properly. Thank you!

Message 6 of 8 (1,285 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes, @SheriGR  I did it today just as you laid out and it did not work. What did work, was duplicating the mods from my old folder and then pasting them into the new folder. The game loaded up properly once I did that. @Sashas0nic 

Message 7 of 8 (1,270 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@unahsims I am very happy to hear that it is working now. I'm wondering if it may have been the Mod folder's config file in the old folder (per the part of the directions: "but do not re-add the old config file from the old mods folder, as it is possible for it to have become corrupted also"). Whatever the issue was, I'm sure you are happy the game is functioning properly now. Happy simming! :eahigh_file:

Message 8 of 8 (1,259 Views)