Sims 4 Won't Load when I Add Mods

by elliotxwalker

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 Won't Load when I Add Mods

★★★★ Novice

My game works when I do not have cc or mods installed. However, whenever I do add a mod or cc, no matter which mod it is (whether it is up to date or patches or just a simple mod, like the No Intro mod) it doesn't work and displays the error message.

I've tried many fixes that have not worked, such as:

1. Checking if the Mod or CC is bad/not up to date with patches (It displayed the error message regardless of which Mod or CC I used. Whether I had just one mod, or three, it did not matter. No mods have worked, even usable ones. I am sure to put it in the correct folder, with no subfolders (as I learned, having too many subfolders can be a problem, however this isn't the issue here), and to use WinRar to correctly extract the files.) 

2. Checking if my game works without Mods or CC. (My game works fine without any Mods or CC files in the Mods folder. It displays the error message only when I add any Mod or CC file content.)

3. Uninstalling and Reinstalling Origin. (I used CCleaner to do this, and I am left with the same issue.)

4. Uninstalling, and Reinstalling The Sims 4. (The same issue still is occurring.)

5. Running Origin in offline mode. (Still the same problem)

6. Running The Sims 4 as an administrator. (Even though I am an administrator and the only account on my laptop, I gave this a go anyway. Still, the problem remains.)

7. Generating a new Mods folder. (I tried this by moving the Mods folder to my desktop, and loading my Sims 4 game. It worked fine, however, the moment I added any mod into the Sims 4 Mods folder, the same error occurred, so it did not fix my problem.)

8. Making sure my OneDrive didn't have a copy of my Documents folder. (I do not have OneDrive enabled on my computer, so there were no files in it to begin with. Same error.)

9. Making sure The Sims 4 Mods tick boxes were enabled. (I'm not sure of the exact option names, but I basically started Sims 4, went to the options, and selected the option to ensure Mods and script mods were allowed in the game. Then, I saved changes, turned the game off, added a mod, and the same error occurred. No fix.)

10. Making sure The Sims 4 was up to date. (My Sims 4 is up to date on the latest patch, which is the one released March 20th, 2018.)

11. Making sure the Mods I was using were Sims 4 Mods. (All the mods I am trying to use are made for the Sims 4, so this is not the issue.)

12. Restarting my computer. (Didn't fix the problem.)

13. Making sure my mods weren't bugged. (I used a detector to find out if any of my mods were bad, and all of them passed the test. They are popular mods, and I haven't found any complaints like my own so far. They are also up to date with the patch.)

14. Running a Repair on my game on Origin. (I tried this method twice, and it hasn't fixed anything thus far.)

I am currently at a loss here :-/ I'm not sure what else to try. My laptop is a Windows 10 laptop, and works fine, except for this problem. 

Message 11 of 25 (2,312 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Thank you for the clarification. You've tried everything and then some that I can think of suggesting. So I'm at a loss of what to try next. Have you tried asking one of the mod creators or at their site to see if anyone has any ideas?

Hmm.. a couple ideas came to mind. Not sure if they'll fix the issue, but it's something worth looking into.

Have you tried disabling the Game DVR and Game Bar? - These are known to cause issues with Sims 4 and other games.

How to Disable Windows 10’s Game DVR (and Game Bar)
https://www.howtogeek.com/273180/how-to-disable-windows-10s-game-dvr-and-game-bar/

Or maybe try running a Clean Boot as this will help with stopping any other programs from interfering. http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Message 12 of 25 (2,300 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@elliotxwalker

Notice that the Mod Conflict Detector finds conflicts between Mods and CC not between Mods/CC and the game itself.

It also list what version of the Game a Mod is for so if it says Sims 3 you would know that needed to be removed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 13 of 25 (2,288 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Have you tried with this Mod as the only installed Mod? moxiemason nomosaic Toddlerupdate

This is about the simplest Mod that exist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 14 of 25 (2,287 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Okay, that makes more sense. I went ahead and downloaded the mod you suggested, and followed the directions and extracted it to my Mods folder, making sure the only files in the folder were the Resource.cfg file, and the mod you suggested. Then, I tried to run the game. Same error message :-/

I appreciate the help either way, but it feels like it must be something with my computer, even though this is a new HP Pavilion laptop, and it runs Sims 4 fine, it just doesn't run at all with any mods.

Message 15 of 25 (2,281 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@172e3cda00349872

Thank you for the tips. First I disabled Game DVR and Game Bar, and noticed no changes, and I also tried a Clean Boot. The Clean Boot seemed to cause more problems as it disabled most of my starting up processes, including my wifi, so I had to re-enable everything to open up the Sims 4, as my Origin did not want to open and it created an error when I tried to log into my EA account.

Message 16 of 25 (2,280 Views)

★★ Pro

I'm sorry those didn't work for you. I tried a static needs mod and the no intro mod last night and they seemed to work for me. So you might be on to something that it's something with your system. Frown

Message 17 of 25 (2,271 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@elliotxwalker

Well I'm at a loss on this. Tagging @crinrict for possible solutions that you haven't tried yet.

Message 18 of 25 (2,262 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey everyone! 

I just wanted to say thank you for all your help. I have found the solution to my problem, and I wanted to go ahead and put it here in case anyone ever has the same problem I had.

Although I don't exactly know why this worked for me, hopefully it'll work for others.

I am the only account/person on my Windows laptop, but I decided to make another new account on my computer anyway to test and see if maybe my original account had a bad file or glitch. I named it elliot, made it an administrator, and did not register it with an outlook email/microsoft account. Then, on the new account, I logged into origins and ran my Sims 4 game. After that, I basically followed the mod instructions and added a mod into the Mods folder. Low and behold, the game ran 100% smoothly with all the mods I wanted to try!

I have no clue why this worked, but my assumption is my first account just had a bad code or something that was messing with my game. Either way, that is how I solved the problem. Hopefully this works for anyone else out there that has tried everything!

Message 19 of 25 (7,629 Views)

★★ Pro

@elliotxwalker

I'm really happy to hear you were able to fix the issue. I've heard of Windows accounts having issues, where something in the account glitches and messes things up sometimes to where it's hardly usable anymore. Forcing you to create a new account.

If I remember correctly, there's away to merge user files from your old user account to a new user account. If that's something you're interested in doing you'll want to search that out. Standard smile

Message 20 of 25 (2,207 Views)