Re: Sims 4 Won't Load when I Add Mods

by 172e3cda00349872

Original Post

★★★ Novice

I thought is was just me, a week ago the game was loading and i had at least 100 mods. now i have done repairs, reinstalled, and even reset my laptop at least 8 times and nothing works, I've even moved all my mods and started searching for new updated ones thinking that's the problem but still nothing.

Message 21 of 25 (713 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@VampKimora

Since removing the mods, have you deleted the game cache and the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder to help with troubleshooting?

How to Delete Cache Files - https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

Launch the game again and try a new save to test - without the mods folder to see if loads and plays okay.

Message 22 of 25 (701 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Yes I have, same result.

Message 23 of 25 (679 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Pro

@VampKimora

Have you tried to reset your user folder aka Sims 4 factory reset?

You can reset your user folder by renaming it or moving it to the desktop and playing the game so it makes a new Sims 4 folder. Here's a how-to:

Rename your Sims 4 folder to Sims 4_Backup. The game will create a new folder next time you play. - Renaming it or moving it to the desktop will help you have a backup and keep your Sims 4 files safe.

Try launching the game, play a new save. If it's not working, don't save. However, if everything is playing okay then start putting the files back. (list of files and folders below).

- Options.ini (User game settings)
- Tray Folder (Sims/Houses/Commercial lots and rooms)
- Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
- Rest of the save games, if any.
(leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave. It is not used anymore.)
- Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, and makeup
- Mods (Put these back one by one to make sure they all still work)

Custom content can become outdated with most new game patches. If the game works when the Mods folder is removed, then one or more of the mods and/or custom content has become outdated and will need to be removed or replaced. EA/Maxis aren't responsible for broken mods/cc. It's up to the creators to fix.

Try the 50/50 method:

1. Move all the mods and cc out into a temporary folder on the desktop.
2. Move a few files back at a time. Load the game to make sure it loads and everything is good.
3. Delete the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder.
4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 till there is no more files to check.

** While your testing, don't save the game. If you find any problems, delete the mod or custom content file.

How To Find Problem Mods and CC
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS4_Finding_Problem_Custom_Content
---

More information - Resetting the game to factory settings without reinstalling
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Troubleshooting-your-Game/m-p/3621199#Reset...

If you move or rename the Sims 4 folder, the game will no longer be able to find it. When you go to play the game it will create a new folder.

Message 24 of 25 (651 Views)

★ Novice

I like to play the sims on others computers and not just my own, so I keep all of my mods/cc on a flash drive.

Message 25 of 25 (567 Views)