Sims 4 Won't Load Main Menu (White Screen)

by hedonique

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Won't Load Main Menu (White Screen)

★★★ Newbie

Hey! I've been having a puzzlingly persistent issue where when I try to start up the Sims, it'll show the spinning plumbob for a minute, then goes to a white screen and won't load any further. I can't even get to the main menu, so there's nothing I can do to change the settings. I've tried repairing the game, clearing the cache, and uninstalling and reinstalling (even uninstalling and reinstalling Origin as well) multiple times.

This started after I updated the game for the April 28th update. When I reopened the game it told me, as usual, mods had been disabled and I would need to restart the game to turn them back on, which I did after clicking the setting to re-enable them, and when the game restarted the white screen issue happened. I haven't been able to get farther than the loading plumbob since.

I don't know what to do at this point, and if reinstalling doesn't seem to fix it, I'm worried I'll never be able to play again on this computer, or possibly with this Origin account. What else can I do? Please help!

Message 1 of 4 (1,143 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 Won't Load Main Menu (White Screen)

@hedonique  Try disabling Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.

If that doesn't help, please move your entire Sims 4 user folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When the game launches, if it launches, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to this folder yet; just see whether you can get far enough to start a new save.

If that doesn't help either, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (1,137 Views)

All Replies

@hedonique  Try disabling Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.

If that doesn't help, please move your entire Sims 4 user folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When the game launches, if it launches, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to this folder yet; just see whether you can get far enough to start a new save.

If that doesn't help either, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 4 (1,138 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you! I think I tried this before but I misinterpreted the instructions. This time it worked! Is there a safe way to get my old save back?

Message 3 of 4 (1,107 Views)

[ Edited ]

@hedonique  You can simply copy the save file from the old Sims 4 folder to the new one.  (Saves go in the saves folder, unsurprisingly.)  You can distinguish among saves by their modified dates, i.e. the one with the most recent date is the one where you most recently saved your progress.  The ones with a .verx on the end are the game's automatic backups, so they're useful to have around, just in case.

Or you could copy over the entire contents of the saves folder.  It's your choice.  But don't transfer the saves folder itself, on the off chance that it's corrupted.

Message 4 of 4 (1,095 Views)