Sims 4 Won't Launch

by darkprincess2687

Original Post

Sims 4 Won't Launch

★★ Novice

Hey,

I'm having issues with the Sims 4, every time I try to launch it, it acts as if its working then goes back to the origin screen. I have tried everything, moved mods, repair, uninstall/reinstall & nothing helps. It was working a few days ago and now it stopped. I have attached my DxDiag below if that helps.

Please let me know what I can do. Thank you.

Message 1 of 8 (644 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Won't Launch

★★★★★ Guide

Hi;

Looking at your DxDiag, your Graphics Driver hasn't been updated since 4/24/18; you might want to go to the Intel website to update that.

After doing that, try the following:

- Completely shut down Origin and restart it. (Go to the Task Manager, kill its process. Reload Origin from the start menu.)

- Move your Mods to the desktop, delete localthumbcache.package from your Sims 4 folder, and then move the Mods back to the Mods folder. Start the game and see if it works.

- Make sure you are running Sims 4 with full permissions. (Make sure the user in Windows you're logged in as has full permissions; if you're under a different user with limited permissions, Sims 4 won't open.)  (If you were under a different user, swap to a full-access user and try loading Sims 4 again.)

If you're still not having luck after that, hopefully someone else has additional steps to assist you.

- B

Message 2 of 8 (632 Views)

★★ Novice

@burin077 I did everything you suggested and still nothing. Thank you for catching that my drivers were out of date. 

Message 3 of 8 (617 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

No problem on the drivers.

As far as the game running, is this a new computer, or has the game run on this computer before?

Do you happen to have an AntiVirus software that might be flagging it? I had noticed before that AVG AntiVirus on my end at one point was blocking Sims 4 any time I tried to access the game with online features.

Hopefully someone else here can also chime in with some ideas on possible troubleshooting.

- B

Message 4 of 8 (603 Views)

★★ Novice

@burin077 It's not a new computer, it's run on this computer before. I do have an antivirus software, I'm not sure if it's flagging it but I'll look into it to see if that's the issue. 

I hope someone can help me figure out what's wrong. Does anyone from Orign or EA go on here? 

Message 5 of 8 (582 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@darkprincess2687 - you have errors associated with a BitTorrent Internet Explorer extension. This is most likely interfering with many things on your computer, in addition to TS4. I would suggest first scanning your computer with a good anti-malware software and removing anything associated with BitTorrent / uTorrent or other P2P software. If you actually installed a P2P software and want to keep it, then you probably know more about the software than I, and should seek help with the software author.

Once that software is removed or disabled, follow these tips to see if you can get TS4 running again:

Always run installation files "As Administrator".

Firewall and Antivirus - Make sure TS4_x64.exe and Origin.exe are added to exception lists. 
Graphics drivers and Windows OS are patched and updated to newest versions
TS4_x64.exe and Origin.exe - Set them to run "as administrator"
Nahimic 2 from MSI - this is an audio management program that comes with MSI motherboards. Disable or uninstall it. Nahimic 2 is known to cause this issue.

Reset TS4 to Factory Settings following the instructions here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Troubleshooting-your-Game/m-p/3621199#Reset...

If the game launches and you can play a fresh, new game, then you can start by adding back your save files, checking each game first before moving on to the next (as described in the link under "The Error is Gone Now"). 

If none of these steps work, try a Clean Boot https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/ and attempt to launch TS4. If it launches, you'll have some detective work to do. Enable one startup program at a time, reboot, try TS4, until you find the program that is blocking it. Once you find the offending program, disable or uninstall it. You should be able to launch TS4 successfully without doing the clean boot after disabling the offending program.

Definitely post back and let us know whether something worked. It's always very helpful if someone shares what worked for them, and we can give some more suggestions if it's still a problem. Here's to Happy Simming!

Message 6 of 8 (559 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

This helps me as well going forward for troubleshooting these issues; thank you.

- B

Message 7 of 8 (543 Views)

★★ Novice

@BlackjackWidow Thank you. I had no idea I have a BitTorrent extension on Internet Explorer because I never use that for web browsing. I will try the stuff you listed below, hopefully it works!

Message 8 of 8 (486 Views)