Sims 4 Wanting Me To Switch To Legacy Edition

by RiaRose1026

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Wanting Me To Switch To Legacy Edition

★★ Novice

Hello,

So I went to get on my sims, and it wanted me to switch to Legacy Edition (Error Code: 5de4b8a3:29f00e76:00000000:00000000) Now I just got a new computer and was able to play it just fine, until today. My computer is a 64x-bit CyberPowerPC with an AMD Ryzen 3 2300X Quad Core Processor, and runs on windows 10. I don't know why it wants me to suddenly switch to Legacy Edition. I have already removed my Mods, restarted Origin, Repaired the game, everything. I am at a loss of what to do, and I really don't want to have to reinstall my game. I live in the woods so internet is crap for installing games.

Update: Before I posted this, I went into my Sims 4 Game Bin (Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin) and found out that the .exe file for the sims 64x-bit version was missing. I don't know if it has to do with the 2020 October update, but thought that it is important to mention. Another note, repairing the game doesn't work. It keeps wanting me to retry and is an endless loop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7 (4,703 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 Wanting Me To Switch To Legacy Edition

@RiaRose1026  Just to double-check, if you restart your computer and don't open anything except for Origin, you still get the same error?  Could you screenshot the contents of the Bin folder where TS4_x64 should be?  I'm wondering whether there are any other files missing.

Within Origin, do you have the option to switch back and forth between the standard (64-bit) and Legacy Edition (32-bit) versions of the game?

Please try disabling AVG entirely, at least for now, and just using Windows Defender.  Once Sims 4 is working again, you can reenable AVG; as long as you don't download anything aside from the game files while it's off, you shouldn't have any issues.

If this doesn't help, try repairing the game in a new admin user account, still with AVG disabled.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (4,602 Views)

All Replies

@RiaRose1026  You're saying TS4_x64.exe is missing?  That would absolutely explain the error you're seeing all by itself.  And the repair should fix it, that is if it actually goes through.

Since the repair is failing, try clearing Origin's cache and restarting your computer before repairing again.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

If that's not enough, you can try uninstalling Origin "the hard way" and reinstalling, which shouldn't affect your installed games.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

Message 2 of 7 (4,659 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Hi,

First off, thank you for your reply! Second, sorry I didn't get back with you sooner. I had some errands to run.

So I tried clearing the cache for Origin to repair the game first. I followed the steps and that didn't work. So I went ahead and did a Hard Uninstall for the Client since I trust myself enough with computers. (!NOTE FOR OTHERS! Please do not do a Hard Uninstall if you don't know much about computers. It can't completely ruin your computer if you mess up! I only did it because I have done hard uninstalls before. I just don't want someone to ruin their PC ^-^) I followed EA's steps for the Hard Uninstall, and then I opened up origin again after installing the client. It then told me I had an update for the Sims 4. When it tried to update the game, I got the Game Update Error. It states 'There was a problem while updating your game. One or more files that requires an update may be in use. If the issue persists please restart your computer and resume the update.' So I did what it said and restarted the computer, resumed the update, and got the error again. Restarted the computer again just to be safe, and still nothing.

If you have any further help, please let me know. If not I will just uninstall Origin through the Control Panel along with the Sims, and Reinstall them again. Once again, thanks for the help Standard smile

Message 3 of 7 (4,645 Views)

@RiaRose1026  What antivirus program, if any, do you use?  A number of players are reporting issues with Avast today, although the associated symptoms are a bit different. Still, it may help to either disable it temporarily (just long enough to update) or set an exception for Origin.exe, as well as TS4_x64.exe when it's installed again.

If you still get the error, I'd love to see a screenshot of it, so I and others know what to look for.

Message 4 of 7 (4,627 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I use AVG Free Antivirus. I did what you suggested and had AVG make an exception, and it still wouldn't let me update or repair the game. I added the Error Message I keep getting below. Would also like to note that the TS4_x64.exe is still missing, so I couldn't set an exception for the game.

Message 5 of 7 (4,615 Views)

@RiaRose1026  Just to double-check, if you restart your computer and don't open anything except for Origin, you still get the same error?  Could you screenshot the contents of the Bin folder where TS4_x64 should be?  I'm wondering whether there are any other files missing.

Within Origin, do you have the option to switch back and forth between the standard (64-bit) and Legacy Edition (32-bit) versions of the game?

Please try disabling AVG entirely, at least for now, and just using Windows Defender.  Once Sims 4 is working again, you can reenable AVG; as long as you don't download anything aside from the game files while it's off, you shouldn't have any issues.

If this doesn't help, try repairing the game in a new admin user account, still with AVG disabled.

Message 6 of 7 (4,603 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I turned off the AVG temporarily and it worked! It updated just fine and now I can play! Thank you so much for your help, and sorry once again for my delayed response. Also I will add a screenshot of what the sims bin folder looked like before it was fixed. That way people know what to look for if they are having the same problem Standard smile Again thank you so much for the help!

Message 7 of 7 (4,574 Views)