Re: Sims 4 Unable to Connect Online

by MahouSims

Original Post

Sims 4 Unable to Connect Online

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello! When I go on the gallery, instead of showing it like it usually does, it told me to connect to the internet. I tried, and it said it was unable to connect online. So I tried telling Origin to connect to the internet, and it could do it no problem. Another game I use Origin for also seems to connect to the internet just fine, as far as I can tell. So far, I've tried (in no particular order):

• Repairing the game
  • Making sure the game was fully updated
  • Adding exceptions to my antivirus programs
  • Turning off my antivirus programs entirely (and turning them back on when that didn't work, don't worry!)
  • Running the game as an administrator
  • Turning Origin in game on, and then off again when that didn't help
  • Switching to a different network (I'm on university wifi, so I can't just turn the modem on and off again)
  • Restarting the computer
  • Waiting a day to see if the problem would fix itself

So far, nothing has worked. Yes, online services are enabled in my settings, and I do have a full Origin account instead of one that's controlled by my parents. Anything else I can try?

Message 1 of 11 (12,131 Views)

Hero

Hi @MahouSims

thank you for your detailed report. Helps a lot with troubleshooting if you list details as you did.

Do you have a laptop or a desktop computer ? Only other thing that comes in mind you can try is go over to a friends house and try with their wifi (but that kinda only works if you have a laptop). Sometimes it's just something about the connection itself, especially if it's a University network, even if they have multiple)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 11 (12,101 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@MahouSims - A couple of other thoughts; did you try flushing your DNS cache?  Sometimes the IP addresses get confused, and this is a good way to start fresh, especially if you can't reboot the router as in your case.

Also, maybe try to log in to The Sims 4 Online Gallery? Maybe it will help your computer to remember where it is Standard smile (or tell you if the wifi is blocking the site for some reason)

Message 3 of 11 (12,088 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have a laptop, but my friends all either live on campus or live several hours away, so there's no one I can visit right now to borrow their wifi.I tried logging into the Online Gallery, and that worked fine, but it still wouldn't connect in game.

I tried following the instructions to flush my DNS cache, but it won't work? When I type in lpconfig/flushdns, it says " 'lpconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file." I was using it as an administrator.

Message 4 of 11 (12,074 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

It's ipconfig /flushdns
Make sure it's an I not an L, and separate with a space in front of the /

Message 5 of 11 (12,066 Views)

★★★ Novice

Oops, sorry about that!

Anyway, I did it, and it still won't connect.

Message 6 of 11 (12,052 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@MahouSims  It is possible the campus may only open certain ethernet ports in the internet. You need access to the router which you probably can't get. You need to go somewhere you know the status of the ISP. Go to a public place that has open wifi and see if it works. If you can get it to work off campus then the internet they are supplying is being blocked.

Message 7 of 11 (12,040 Views)

★★★ Novice

I can't just go out into public to hang out like that? It makes me too nervous. Is there anything else I can try, or am I just stuck waiting until I go home for break?

Message 8 of 11 (12,018 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@MahouSims - 

I think it's very interesting that you can connect & log in to the gallery online, but not through the game. Did you try marking anything to download? Just wondering what happens if you try to add something to your gallery from there. Make sure you're using an adult account - just in case this account was made as an underage account back in the day, and you haven't changed it since leaving home. Underage accounts cannot access the gallery.

Since you can't immediately test elsewhere, there are a few other things you can try. First, very important - If you have any mods or cc, completely move them all to your desktop or an external hard drive. Then copy your save folder to the desktop or external drive, as a backup. That way, if anything gets worse or lose something in-game, you have a way to get it back.

Once you've removed any mods and cc, and backed up your saves, here are a couple of thoughts on things to try:

1. Clear the cache files  (@crinrict has an easy to understand how-to here: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/)
  2. Repair the game after clearing the cache (I know you did it already, but try again)
  3. Set Origin and The Sims 4 shortcuts to "run as Administrator".
  4. Make sure Origin itself is online (Origin menu - Go online)
  5. If none of those works, you might want to contact the tech support / administrator of your school's wifi and ask if there are any blocks that would prevent you from accessing the gallery. 

Please let us know the results - Happy Simming. Fingers crossed

Message 9 of 11 (11,982 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Same problem here. Is gallery down?

Message 10 of 11 (10,978 Views)