Sims 4 Stopped Working

by crystal580

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Stopped Working

★★ Novice

After I updated my Origin, Sims 4 stopped working and an error pops up saying: 

"Unable to start:

Can't run The Sims 4 with this video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and that the latest video drivers are installed.

[0e6d1221:1df4e8dc:0000012d9:912c9c10]"

I played Sims 4 on the same laptop before and never had this issue. My laptop is a Lenovo ideapad Y700 with Intel Core i7 and Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M. I already updated my drivers and looked at the system requirements for the game (which says that my laptop meets the minimum requirements). I am completely clueless why the game won't run and request assistance. I attached my DxDiag file on here as well.

Message 1 of 13 (2,840 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 Stopped Working

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@crinrict@roberta591 I realized that I had an old version of the Windows 10 Creators Update (1703) so my drivers weren't updating properly due to my outdated operating system. Last night I updated to the Fall Creators Update (1709) and the game runs fine now. Thank you so much for your replies and help.

View in thread

Message 12 of 13 (3,164 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Hi @crystal580

your card is fine, should work with that

please try the following things

1. See if it starts in windowed mode
  2. Turn off Origin In Game
  3. If you have a dual graphics system, make sure the game runs on the card and not the chip
  4. Uninstall and reinstall your graphics drivers
  5. Rollback to earlier graphics drivers
  6. Right click on the game in Origin and press repair game

Test after each step

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 13 (2,744 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you for the reply, crinrict. I went through the steps that you gave me however nothing has changed. It still gives me the same error message.

Message 3 of 13 (2,721 Views)

Hero

In this folder: documents\electronicarts\thesims4\ there's a file called config.log

Could you open that in a text editor and see what it says about your card ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 13 (2,702 Views)

★★ Novice

I opened up the text file and it said the following:

"Unable to read graphics device parameters. (code: 1)"

Message 5 of 13 (2,677 Views)

Hero

Sounds like some issue with your card.

You did uninstall your drivers and reinstall them ? Not just install over, right ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 13 (2,669 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@crystal580  The video chip in your computer is not in the game database so the game does not know how to configure itself. You need to access the core game file - GraphicsCards.sgr and add Device ID: 0x139B to identify the GTX 960M chip. This is a test file so it can be edited with a text editor like notepad. Make a copy (copy -paste) to your desktop before editing. You need to add a line like the GTX 960 only change the ID to 0x136B and the 960 to 960M and the game should recognize the video chip. Adding chips to TS4 is actually a lot simpler then TS3.

Message 7 of 13 (2,654 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@crinrict Yes, I install my drivers using GeForce Experience which uninstalls the old drivers before installing the new ones.

Message 8 of 13 (2,641 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@roberta591 Thanks for the reply. I checked the graphic cards files and my graphics card was there. After further investigation, I realized that my Device ID is the same the ID for the GTX 920 (according to my graphic cards files). I tried deleting the code for the 920 but nothing worked still.

Message 9 of 13 (2,638 Views)

Hero

I would try a manual uninstall of your drivers.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 13 (2,620 Views)