Re: Sims 4 Stopped Working Feb 2018

by CMeki

Original Post

Sims 4 Stopped Working Feb 2018

★★ Apprentice

I just got on my system to play Sims 4. Origin told me it needed an update so I let that run first. Now, every time I try to launch it, it goes to the main screen and gives me an error message that the Sims 4 has stopped working and that I must close the game. I went to Origin and did the fix on the game. When I restarted after that it at least let me start one of my saved games. But a few minutes in I got the same error.

My system info is attached. Help?

Message 1 of 19 (3,344 Views)

★★ Apprentice
p.s. I also ran a scan and my graphics drivers are up to date.
Message 2 of 19 (3,336 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@MysticTigg

That's not a complete Dxdiag, could you try running it again? Would be nice if there were some error reports on Origin or TS4 and the error reports are not in yours Standard smile
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

If it might be your user files, this is something you could do. Resetting your user files to factory settings. It might be enough to remove the mods folder if you use mods, but this way will also find those problems

• Make a backup; copy your The Sims 4-folder from C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts to an external drive or somewhere else on your computer, for example, your desktop.
  • Rename the The Sims 4-folder in C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts to The Sims 4_backup
  • Start the game, make a new save, and see if the error is gone. 
    (The game will have created a new The Sims 4-folder in your documents, this is supposed to happen)

• If yes, continue
    • If no, post a reply telling us the error is still there
  • Start putting folders back in the new The Sims 4-folder. Observe! After every file/folder, start the game and make sure it still works, before putting in the next one.
    • Options.ini - your game settings
    • Saves - your old saves. The sub-folders are not needed. If putting these back causes problem, try putting one back at a time.
    • Screenshots
    • Custom music - if you have any
    • Tray - your library objects; like lots, rooms and sims
    • Mods - your mods and cc, might cause problems when putting back
      List of mods that need updating/removal after Feb 2018 patch

If putting back one of the folders was problematic and you did not work it out, please post a reply and we'll see if we can find what your problem is!

Source: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/backing-up-and-resetting-the-sims-4/

Good Luck! Standard smile

Message 3 of 19 (3,312 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hi, I followed your directions above.

1) attached is the Dxdiag that I ran by following the directions you sent. I do see error files in my Sims folder so I will include some of those in case it helps.

2) I don't believe I use any Mods. There is only one document in the Mods folder and it is the same size as the new one the game created when I followed your instructions to rename my Sims 4 folder and let the game recreate it again.

3) it seems like my crashing happened when I moved over the Tray folder. I hope I don't have to reload everything.

Could this possibly have anything to do with my changing one of the city penthouse's to a commercial restaurant? I wouldn't think so as I set it all up like a working restaurant but it's something I did recently. I also downloaded a "plant nursery" but I played that for many times before this happened.

Thanks for any input you have and I'm crossing my fingers not to have to reload the game and lose my current setup. Standard smile

Message 4 of 19 (3,256 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@MysticTigg

The dxdiag does still not show the part I want it to..No idea why though :P 
Did you run the 64bit version? What happens if you have without running that version?

It should not have anything to do with the penthouse. 

1. I tried to check the LastCrash but they're really hard to understand. The Sims Team might be able to check it if we cannot find out anything though.

2. No, if you only have the resource.cfg, you do not have mods.

3. But did the game work when you ran it without the Tray Folder?
The tray is your local library, could you try to find out which file/files in the folder is causing problems?

Message 5 of 19 (3,249 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same issue, but I still don't understand what to do. Please help.

Message 6 of 19 (3,156 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Denise_5643

Start by this:

1. If you have mods/cc in your game, remove all of them to see if the game works better.
    For example, move the mods folder from C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 to your Desktop and start the game.
  2. Please post a DxDiag:
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
Message 7 of 19 (3,154 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Ok so I have done the first bit you said to do which was to create a backup Sims 4 folder on my desktop and I did, but it still won't work.

Please tell me what to do.

Message 8 of 19 (3,149 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Denise_5643

The first thing I said was to move your mods folder to the desktop, so you have no mods in the game, did you do that, or just backe a backup?

The other thing I need is the dxdiag, please post it (link in post above)

Message 9 of 19 (3,146 Views)

★★★ Novice

I followed the instructions and have no mods for this game and yet, mine still crashes. I don't know why it's doing this. I haven't played the game for a few months, but it worked perfectly fine before it updated.

Message 10 of 19 (2,393 Views)