Re: Sims 4: Sim won't complete actions.

by 07J4335

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4: Sim won't complete actions.

★★★★ Novice

So, I've been having this problem creep up on me regularly for the past few months. Basically, I'll click on something for my sim to do, like go on the computer or use the guitar, etc, and she'll walk up to it, and then just stop altogether. She won't complete the action or even move to do it. I've searched through all sorts of forums and websites for a fix, and I found a few things that I have tried which gave me temporary fixes, the issue always returns. I've tried resetting my sims folder, moving my mods and I have a mod conflict detector to ensure none of the ones I use are broken. I've repaired the game, reinstalled the game, even started whole new saves and removed everything barring the working mods from the games, but it always comes back.

Has anyone else had this issue, or know how I can fix it? It's extremely annoying.

Message 1 of 26 (34,005 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Novice

My mods folder was empty, and then I was concerned maybe something I had was tripping it. I have CC that was created a while ago and haven't updated. So, I deleted every mod and every bit of CC and have downloaded fresh stuff from MSR, but only things that have been made in 2019-2020, to avoid that possible problem. I've started a fresh folder with the new mods, and it seems to be okay. A little bit laggy at times, but still working. 

I'm updating my drivers as well, thank you for pointing that out! Ngl, I wouldn't have even known how to check on that.

View in thread

Message 16 of 26 (39,504 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice

I have this same problem and the only way that I have made it work again is by saving the game, exiting and rentering the game. I know it's imperfect and annoying, but at least it means they will obey me again. They will stop following my commands after a while and I have to save and exit again. It's annoying but it works for me. I hope this helps you resolve your issue.

Message 2 of 26 (33,905 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@07J4335 Thanks for the suggestion, however I find I still have the issue after saving and exiting, etc. It's really grinding my gears, as I've finally gotten back into the game fully and have the time to spend on it. Thanks for trying to help out though, appreciate it!
Message 3 of 26 (33,881 Views)

@babybeetlejuice  As a test, try playing a new save in a clean game folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, then launch the game to create a new folder.  Don't add anything to it yet, just play for a while and see if the same problem reappears.  This will distinguish between a system issue and a problem with your existing Sims 4 folder, or rather, one or more files inside it.

If the game runs normally in the clean folder, then the first suspect would be a mod.  I know you've tested with only the "working" ones, but some mods aren't so broken as to cause symptoms right away.  Occasionally you can have one that only creates a problem under specific circumstances, and it can be difficult to figure out unless you test the same scenario both with and without the mod present.  But if one or more mods are the issue, the only solution will be not using them.

If you still see the issue in a clean folder, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 26 (33,870 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Is there any way of finding out which mod could be causing the issue if the conflict software doesn't trace it? I have a few careers/traits mods in there along with the CC, and I'd rather just find a way to remove the ones causing issues than have to remove everything.
Message 5 of 26 (33,851 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@babybeetlejuice Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I hope you resolve it quickly. Standard smile
Message 6 of 26 (33,836 Views)

@babybeetlejuice  I'm not suggesting you remove everything permanently, just long enough to find out whether a mod is in fact causing the problem.  It would be annoying to test each of your mods only to find out that none of them are the issue.  A clean folder will make that clear either way, and if you don't see the issue, you can start testing your mods.

If it's easier to find examples of the problem, you can move a copy of your existing save to the clean folder.  In fact, you can just copy the entire Saves folder from the old Sims 4 folder to the new one.  (Copy, don't drag and drop, so you can experiment freely on the new copy and still have a backup to restore when you're done.)  Once you figure out which mod is the issue, you can keep using all the others.

The mod conflict detector only flags instances of conflict between two mods, specifically when they both modify the same resource in the game itself.  It won't be able to detect broken mods, or ones that don't quite function as well as they should.

Message 7 of 26 (33,821 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Okay, I'll give that a try tomorrow afternoon when I have some more time to dedicate to it. Thank you for offering your help as well, I've been going crazy the past few days trying different things.

However, I do want to add that the conflict detector I have is colour coded, and does often detect broken mods, they're usually red I think. It brings up different things, not just if they're conflicting. I assumed it would be able to detect problems with the mods/cc if that were the case.
Message 8 of 26 (33,817 Views)

@babybeetlejuice  The conflict detector may find some broken mods after all, but I still wouldn't count on it to find all of them.  At any rate, you'll know whether a mod is the issue as soon as you test.  If you need more help sorting through the files, I'll be around.

Message 9 of 26 (33,799 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Hi, so I've been through the mods and cc, and even had another friend look through them as well ( took forever getting them all onto dropbox ) and they don't seem to be the issue. I tried a few other things and started a fresh folder, and the game worked for a while as usual. But, the error has returned and I'm honestly out of ideas.
Message 10 of 26 (33,718 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help