Re: [Current issue] Sims 4 Randomly Crashing Computer (Restart)

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 4 Randomly Crashing Computer (Restart)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi peeps! I'm in desperate need of some help. 

About two weeks ago my game started to crash randomly anywhere from an hour to just 5 minutes into playing a save (mainly after loading into a lot but also while making a new household in CAS in a fresh save). It crashes my computer to an automatic restart and I can't figure out what is causing it. I play on PC and it's a brand new computer a friend has built for me (he's built plenty before) and out of the three games I play at the moment (Sims 4, Among Us, Stardew Valley) the only one that has caused the computer to crash like this has been Sims 4. 

Things I've already tried that haven't worked:

- removing my CAS CC and Mods (only had the LGBT Mod and UI Cheats extension, both up to date after Snowy Escape)

- removing my save files to see if there may have been a corrupted save file (there was one save that I think was an issue however the crashing still persists over a week after removing said save)

- reinstalling the entire game twice

- clearing the game cache

I play through Steam however I used to play the exact same set of games with the same saves on a lower spec laptop which, whilst it was slow in running the Sims 4, it never randomly restarted the computer. I've attached a dxdiag.txt I've run to this post. At this point I'm super frustrated as I just want to play & start streaming but I can't when my computer crashes every time I try and play it. 

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted title

Message 1 of 6 (1,139 Views)

@LazzaTheLedge  It's probably not related, but your dxdiag reports a few errors related to the Windows search function.  At some point, it would be a good idea to rebuild the search index; you can use the first option here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/58569-rebuild-search-index-windows-10-a.html

For the main issue though, it sounds like there could be a problem with your computer's power supply.  Straight restarts are almost always hardware related, and usually about the power supply, although there are other causes as well.  So the first thing to do, if you're comfortable, is to open the case and make sure all the cables are properly secured.

If that's not the issue, the next step is hardware monitoring.  Download hwinfo from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't need to install anything if you don't want to; just choose the Portable version, unzip it, and launch it from Downloads or wherever you want.  (If you would like to install, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.)  Restart your computer, and don't open any other apps.  Launch hwinfo, choose "sensors only," and click the icon that's a sheet of paper with a + sign to start logging.  Save the file to your desktop for easy access later.

Wait five minutes, then launch Sims 4 until your computer restarts.  The log should be intact up to that point, but please let me know exactly how much time passes between when you start logging and the restart.  You can upload the log to a third-party free filehosting site and link it here.  Please leave it in .csv format, or if you use OneDrive to share, please compress it in .zip format instead.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (1,116 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict Thanks for the reply! I'll check out the Windows search function later but thank you for pointing it out Standard smile 

I checked the power supply and cables and it all seems fine (I didn't think it would be to do with that as it's so far only been crashing with Sims 4, nothing else). 

I opened the hwinfo link and when I hover over the green free download button for the Portable version it has a version for Canada, US and SK (South Korea?) but I'm unsure which to use since I am Australian?

Thanks for the help so far

Message 3 of 6 (1,090 Views)

@LazzaTheLedge  The locations you're seeing are for servers that host the download, not for different versions of the app.  No matter where you download from, you'll get the same version; the only question is how much time it takes to download.

Message 4 of 6 (1,077 Views)

★ Novice

Hi all! We’re you ever able to figure this out? I’m dealing with the same thing now! 😢

Message 5 of 6 (845 Views)

@SailorJupiterNB  Does your computer actually restart while you're playing Sims 4, or does it just shut down, or something else?  Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 6 of 6 (828 Views)