Sims 4 RTX 2060 unrecognized card/low fps

by troshalom

Original Post

Sims 4 RTX 2060 unrecognized card/low fps

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Hi, I just upgraded my video card today from a Nvidia GTX 660 to the RTX 2060. And it lists my card in the sgr file and in the config.log but it doesn't specify found. How can I have my card listed as found?

Will that then put the bulk of the play on the GPU instead of the CPU?

SimsGPU1.png

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Name (database): [Found: 0, Supported: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1e89, Board: 87351043, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvldumdx.dll, Version: 27.21.14.5167, GUID: D7B71xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxC2D635
Driver version: 5167
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 5974MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz

SimsGPU2.png

The FPS vary from 29.18 to just over 50 - but it hangs out mostly in the 30s.

It jumps up to 50 to 70 when I leave the screen.

I play full screen windowed as I have multiple monitors, but I only play on one monitor.

Thanks

edited title to reflect subject.  -puzzlezaddict

Message 1 of 4 (1,554 Views)

Re: Sims 4 RTX 2060 unrecognized card/low fps

@troshalom  I've split your post into its own thread, and I also changed the title.

First of all, Sims 4, like all games, uses both CPU and GPU.  Any process your computer runs will use the processor, and more complicated tasks will require more processing power.  The question is not whether the game can be convinced to use the graphics card as opposed to the processor, it's why it's only using 40% of the GPU despite fps being low.

Do you have a max framerate set anywhere?  If so, please disable it for now.  Please disable GPU Tweak and your other Asus software as well, at least long enough to test: you can End Task in the Task Manager.  Then test in windowed fullscreen and windowed modes.

If that doesn't help, please try playing while your computer is not connected to the internet.  Some people have low fps only while there's an internet connection.  Whether this helps or not, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

To get your card recognized, pull up the line in the .sgr file you've highlighted and change the device ID, showing as 0x1f08, to 0x1e89 (the ID of your card).  Save, quit, and launch the game once before checking config.log again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (1,504 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@puzzlezaddictthanks for splitting the post out instead of closing it.

I do not know how to set a max frame rate, so I didn't set one. How can I find out if one is set and how to turn it off?

My Card is now found.

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (Turing) [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1e89, Board: 87351043, Chipset: 00a1

Message 3 of 4 (1,427 Views)

@troshalom  There are a few ways to manually limit framerates.  Those settings are off by default in the Nvidia Control Panel, so if you haven't done anything deliberately, you don't need to worry about the CP.  There might be a setting in GPU Tweak, but it's better to test with that (and the other Asus software) entirely disabled first.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (1,387 Views)