Re: Sims 4 Overclocking Computer??

by Panda12399

Original Post

Sims 4 Overclocking Computer??

★ Novice

Earlier in January after the PC game update(Jan 14ish?). I was playing the sims and suddenly my computer shut off, when I turned it back on 30 mins later a message on the screen said:

"All settings were reset to default values. The previous overclock settings have failed, system has been restored to its default settings. Press F1 to run setup. Press F2 to load default values and run setup. Press Alt+L to load Last known good configuration values and continue."

I chose Alt+L and it sent me to BIOS, I didn't touch anything there, just exited and computer restarted. I backed up all my files in case something happened. I started up Sims again and same thing happened after 10 mins of playing. This time my computer wouldn't turn on at all! I thought it was my PSU that got blown out, so I replaced it and that was not the fix. I took it to a repair shop and they told me my RAM was damaged which was preventing my computer to start POST, so I ended up having to replacing that as well. 

Fast forward to last night (Apr 8), I updated Origin/The Sims 4 and played for a few hours and everything seemed fine. Today when I started it up I got the same overclock message as above and did the same steps (Alt+L, exiting BIOS). I've never had this experience with any other games I play (PUBG, Overwatch, etc). I updated my graphics card drivers and disabled all my CC/Mods folder.

DxDiag: pastebin.com/run29cqz

Message 1 of 6 (6,242 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

This is not related to the game As the message say you overclock the computer too much. If you want to overclock your computer select more conservative settings.

If in doubt find a forum that discusses overclocking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 6 (6,235 Views)

★★★ Novice
I'm not the best with computers so I don't want to overclock my computer at all. I just want to know why Sims 4 is the only game to give me this type of message.
Message 3 of 6 (6,211 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Games tax the computer hardware more or less. Apparently your other games doesn't cause as much strain on the computer as The Sims 4 or you don't play them for the same amount of time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 6 (6,200 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@snacksthecat  Did you or anybody else overclocked that computer. I'm guessing you didn't rest the bios to defaults. 3D games work the computer hard and that increases the power supply demand and generates more heat. Overclocking increases the load and generates even more heat. First if you are overclocking the components have to be able to handle the increased speed (memory, cpu, chipset, etc) or they will fail (maybe permanently). When you overclock cooling becomes very important as the stock cooler may (probably) won't be enough. You can (probably) burn out the memory if you push them too hard. Overclocking is a science and you can (probably) permanently damage your computer if done improperly. The first time you power on the computer the bios will run the computer at a low speed to discover the cpu type and the memory size and speed and then adjusts the components to the factory settings (other things are done but probably don't apply here). Heat control plays a VERY important part here as increasing the default values will emit more heat and if you are not cooling well enough components will break. Really need to know manufacturer of memory and specs you have in the computer. If you have miss matched memory modules could be an issue. Who replaced the memory?

Message 5 of 6 (6,186 Views)

★ Novice

No one else has overclocked this computer and I never had the intention of doing so.  I went into the BIOS and selected "reset to default values" but it still gave me the message the next day.  The memory was replaced by the tech in the repair shop so 1 stick is Patriot Viper DDR3 8GB and the other stick is G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB. 

Motherboard: MSI Z97M Gaming 

Graphics Card: NVDIA GeForce 1060 6GB

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

After disabling my mods it turns out to be bad CC.  There's probably no way to prevent this overclocking message other than finding the bad CC/playing without it?

Message 6 of 6 (6,171 Views)