Sims 4 Not Responding and Then Not Loading

by Samantha_Marieta

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Not Responding and Then Not Loading

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi hi,

Apologies in advance for how inept I am when it comes to technology!

So, I've had the Sims 4 base game for... I guess two years, and while it's always been a little laggy (which I blamed on my laptop being slow), it's recently gotten wayyy worse. When opened, the game will cycle through the logo screen, and after the game logo is displayed, will stop responding. Which I think it always has done, except it used to start working fine after a minute, and now what it does is minimises itself, and when maximised, shows a frozen blank screen (picture attached!) It can be minimised and maximised, but not closed - I have tried closing it at the top right, on the task bar, and on Origin, and nothing works - the only way to close it is by turning off the laptop.

It has done this before, except previously it has fixed itself promptly and now it just stays frozen. I haven't played the game in a couple of months, so I can't really say when it started doing this, sorry!

Idk if this is relevant but yesterday I bought the cats and dogs expansion pack on Instant Gaming, that all seemed to go fine, I redeemed the code and installed it, Origin shows it is installed,

I really don't know what to do. I don't want to uninstall the game because I really don't wanna have to re-buy my expansion packs, especially when I haven't even gotten to play the C&D one (assuming that uninstalling the game loses your expansions?). I'm at a total loss! Please, please help if you can :-)

- Sam

(Also my first time posting so I apologise for any formatting issues and whatnot)

Message 1 of 5 (435 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 Not Responding and Then Not Loading

★★★★ Apprentice
@Samantha_Marieta Uninstalling doesn't delete your games/expansions from your account. They're still there you just have to redownload them to your computer.

I used to have the same issue with the frozen blank screen on my old laptop. Unfortunately, I never really found a solution to that before that laptop crashed and I got a new one. Sometimes it would help to try to repair the game. Right click on the Sims 4 in your game library and then select repair game. It will make sure all of the files are what they should be. I also think maybe it has something to do with installing mods. If you haven't played in a while and had mods installed, they are probably outdated and should be deleted/updated in your mods folder. Also delete the file in the sims 4 folder labeled localthumbcache.package to clear the mods from the save file completely. That file will regenerate once you open the sims again.

Hopefully that helps, but like I said, I never really found a complete solution to it myself so I can't say whether it will work or not. Good Luck!

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (426 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Apprentice
@Samantha_Marieta Uninstalling doesn't delete your games/expansions from your account. They're still there you just have to redownload them to your computer.

I used to have the same issue with the frozen blank screen on my old laptop. Unfortunately, I never really found a solution to that before that laptop crashed and I got a new one. Sometimes it would help to try to repair the game. Right click on the Sims 4 in your game library and then select repair game. It will make sure all of the files are what they should be. I also think maybe it has something to do with installing mods. If you haven't played in a while and had mods installed, they are probably outdated and should be deleted/updated in your mods folder. Also delete the file in the sims 4 folder labeled localthumbcache.package to clear the mods from the save file completely. That file will regenerate once you open the sims again.

Hopefully that helps, but like I said, I never really found a complete solution to it myself so I can't say whether it will work or not. Good Luck!
Message 2 of 5 (427 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Kazuzi3 Oops I accidentally wrote my reply to you to myself haha, let's try again:

Omg, thank you so so much!! I'll try doing that Standard smile

Yeah, my laptop is a bit slow but like, it's not a total piece of junk so I don't think it's at fault for the game doing this. I've never installed mods or anything, so I'll try repairing and updating it (even tho I swear, everytime I turn on my computer it updates!)

Again, thanks so much! :D
Message 3 of 5 (417 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Kazuzi3 Yo, it worked! Thanks so much <3
Message 4 of 5 (409 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@Samantha_Marieta Glad to hear it worked! Have fun!
Message 5 of 5 (405 Views)