Sims 4 Low FPS on GTX 1060 6gb

by SimmerGeorge

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 Low FPS on GTX 1060 6gb

★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict Thanks a lot. I will try that and let you know. Might take over 24 hours for me to reply 'cause I have exams right now. I hope you are still there when I finally get to reply :P
Message 11 of 25 (1,239 Views)

@SimmerGeorge  Take your time; I'll be here whether it's a day or a week.  Just make sure to tag me again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 25 (1,227 Views)

★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict Hey, so I tried everything you said and also I tried playing with WiFi off aswell as also disabling the GeForce in-game overlay, just in case. So in every one of my tests the FPS in started at around 55-60 when zoomed in and as low as 34 when zoomed out and moving. No difference at all with any of the different things I tried.

Here is my DxDiag. Thanks in advance for helping. 

Message 13 of 25 (1,188 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimmerGeorge   The AMD Ryzen 2600 is known to be very sensitive to heat. The harder it works the hotter it gets so if you have marginal cooling the cpu could clock down the hotter it gets the slower it runs, Also it seems that this cpu is very sensitive to the power supply. Again if you have a marginal power supply the cpu may be clocking down due to lack of power. You really need to check the ratings of the power supply. Some (not all) psu manufacturers boost voltages of lesser required specs to raise the overall wattage rating, Also not all psus are created equal. Some have dual rails which split the output and I have seen one rail loaded and the other rail with virtually no load. Like I said you have to look at the whole system.

Message 14 of 25 (1,167 Views)

★ Guide
@roberta591 Sorry I don't understand any of that and I have no idea how it could ruin my gaming experience. What is marginal power?
Message 15 of 25 (1,158 Views)

@SimmerGeorge  There are a number of Windows update errors in your dxdiag, and you're also one build behind the current one.  That's not necessarily a problem—Windows 10 build 1903 is very much supported and shouldn't present any issues with Sims 3.  But the update failures could be slowing down your system.  Plus, a new Windows build (2004) will be released in a few days, so now's a good time to update to 1909.

Please first run DISM and sfc to address any underlying errors that might be preventing Windows from updating properly.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

If sfc says it found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them, please stop here.  Otherwise, manually run any pending updates: restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  If there are a number of them, it make take a few tries, with restarts in between, to run them all.

When you're done running these updates, you can update to build 1909, if Windows didn't already download it and you don't have a good reason for staying on 1903.

Please test the game again.  If you still have low framerates, then yes, the next step is hardware monitoring, to test not only temperatures but the overall performance of the various components of your system.  Let me know, and I'll post instructions.

Message 16 of 25 (1,128 Views)

★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict Okay first of all thanks again for this awesome explaination. I was able to do everything really quickly. The DISM just completed and didn't come up with anything, however the sfc did find and repair corrupt files. I don't know how to update to 1909 because the system doesn't find that update when I run the check for updates scan.

The fps hasn't really improved unfortunately and I was hoping it would 'cause I got this PC on October and I really don't want there to be any hardware damage already but I guess I might have to check if you are kind enough to offer instructions. Thanks again for bein a lifesaver.
Message 17 of 25 (1,108 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimmerGeorge   What I mean by marginal power is the power supply has enough power to run the computer and then some but It may not enough to run the computer at full load. There are many different power supply designs. If the power supply has two rails at +12V (volts) at 20 A (amps) per rail then the specs are +12V at 40A and this is the figure that will produce the total wattage. The specs for the power supply should be on a label on the power supply. The AMD Ryzen 5 2600 spec has a TDP (thermal design power) is 65 W (watts). First the cpu cooler needs to handle 65 watts for the cpu only. This does not take into account any other devices drawing on the power supply. If you overclock the figure goes up. As I somewhat frequently upgrade my computers I tend to over rate my components. Another thing  I only buy name brand power supplies. Name brand psus tends to use better components and supply a cleaner voltages for a longer time. The very first thing I do when troubleshooting issues is take an inventory of the system and see if the basic system is sound. BTW the GTX 1060 peaks about 140W. Basically if you have a 350W power supply or a Brand X 400W power supply or a failing power supply you may experience performance issues. If the cpu gets too hot it will reduce power so it will produce less heat thus preventing self destruction. A good gaming rig needs to be able to exhaust heat. if the case is blocked or you may need more air movement could cause excessive heat buildup.

Message 18 of 25 (1,101 Views)

@SimmerGeorge  To manually update to 1909, open Edge (yes, specifically Edge) and go here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You'll see a button right at the top to update to the November build, which is 1909.

For the hardware monitoring, download hwinfo (for free) from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't need to install anything if you don't want to—just choose the portable version, unzip it, and launch it from Downloads or wherever you want.  If you do want to install, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.

Restart your computer, open hwinfo, choose "sensors only," click the icon that's a sheet of paper with a + sign to start logging, and save the log file to your desktop.  Wait five minutes, then launch Origin and Sims 4, nothing else.  Play for at least 20 minutes, quit, and click the same icon to end logging.

Upload the log file to a third-party filehosting site and link it here.  Please leave it in .csv format, or else my log reader may not be able to open it.  (If you use OneDrive, zip it instead.)  I'll take a look and see if there's anything obvious.

Please also let me know what power supply you have.  If you're not sure, you can just look at it.  List all its stats, e.g. Corsair 750W 80+ Gold.

Message 19 of 25 (1,100 Views)

★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict So thanks again. Tried all that here is the result. I also want to include yesterday before going to bed I noticed one of the fans in my PC was completely off, don't know how long it's been that way, I turned it back on and the performance was just a notch better.

Hope the link works for u: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AMNJmnx3LHXUHau2c4LnPSzfgfVb4y6N/view?usp=sharing
Message 20 of 25 (1,027 Views)