Re: Sims 4 Low FPS on GTX 1060 6gb

by roberta591

Original Post

Sims 4 Low FPS on GTX 1060 6gb

★ Guide

Hey guys, 

So I recently bought a PC that came with a gtx 1060 6gb GPU and the performance with The Sims 4 is not that perfect. I run the game on ultra with uncompessed sim textures and I am getting fps drops from 70 to 40-50, especially in worlds like San Myshuno but also when I zoom out in small worlds like Glimmerbrook or Forgotten Hollow. 

Is this normal for my GPU? I didn't think The Sims 4 was such a demanding game. I run games like Final Fantasy XV on high settings so it really doesn't make sense. Can anyone help?

My specs are: 

Win 10

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6gb

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 2600

225 GB SSD

RAM: 16GB

Message 1 of 25 (6,333 Views)

★★★ Novice
@SimmerGeorge I'm having the same issue on a more powerful rig and it's probably down to this issue:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Incredibly-Low-FPS-when-connected-to-Int...
Message 2 of 25 (6,277 Views)

★ Guide
@nrtmv2 I have tried playing offline and haven't seen a difference unfortunately.
Message 3 of 25 (6,269 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimmerGeorge The frame rate depends on many things and one bottle neck can really affect FTS. You don't list your display device. If the display device is 60 FTS then anything over 60 FTS is dropped. It depends on the bandwidth of how your display device is connected. It depends on the video driver settings like triple buffering. It depends on how many backgrounds programs are running and what they are doing. It depends on the resolution you have the program set for. The higher the resolution the slower the frame rate. The more changes in a given frame requires more processing. The sims games do some post video card processing in software. Actually TS4 is less demanding then TS3 but performance is is only be as good as the weakest hardware bottleneck. When Windows operating system in installed the size of the page file that is created is based on the size of the system storage device. If you have a 1Tb conventional drive the page file would be larger then a 225Gb ssd. While a 128Gb ssd or even a 225 Gb ssd may not be large enough for a typical gaming rig if you don't know how to manage it. While a 128Gb storage device may be large enough for a business/student computer, IMO it is not large enough for the average gamer as today's games keep getting larger and larger. When users come to me for a computer one of the questions I ask is are you going to run games on this computer. If the answer is yes then the smallest system storage device would be 500Gb. With the price of ssds in free fall I see no sense to skimp on storage. Would you try 4K resolution with a VGA display? So to answer your question a tech will need to know ALL aspects of your system. First thought is I don't think the GTX 1060 is the issue. Have you tried running a graphics benchmark like 3Dmark?

Message 4 of 25 (6,251 Views)

★ Guide
@roberta591 Okay, I didn't know you needed that info. On my 225gb SSD I only have The Sims 4 installed. I usually install all my other games in my 1TB hard drive. I am playing in 1920x1080 and using a display port to connect my display device. (My monitor is called iiyama G-master G2530HSU) but device manager lists General PnP Monitor.
As for the other settings I don't know what they really are I use default NVIDIA settings.
I have never used a graphics benchmark.
Message 5 of 25 (6,220 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimmerGeorge   When you install a program (game), user data data usually gets written by default to the system device. With this game you can install the core game file to a different location but the use data by default gets saved to the system device. As this is an expandable game that means some user data will get added to your user data. to use 3Dmark, google 3Dmark, download the free version, install and run and it should give you a value to compare to other video cards. When you install the game to the 1Tb data drive you loose the advantage of the performance that the ssd gives you.Have you tried running the game with Origin in off line mode? This seems to affect performance in some computers.

Message 6 of 25 (6,189 Views)

★ Guide
@roberta591 Will the program just tell me how I compare to other video cards? 'Cause I could just google that. I googled the recommended card vs the one I have and mine is a lot faster. Also GeForce experience automatically sets my optimisation to "best visual quality" which means it detects I can run this game in ultra? It doesn't do that with more demanding games though.
That just gives me the impression it is not the card, it's the game optimisation maybe.
I have tried offline mode but it's kind of the same, still low frames with vsync on and with vsync off I get very visible screen tearing.
Message 7 of 25 (6,185 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimmerGeorge Have you been rebooting between tests? If you don't get bad results from the benchmark then you have to look at the software. Right now you have no idea what is going on. The bench mark program will give you an idea of what to expect from the video system. All the settings are subjective and may or may not work for you.

Message 8 of 25 (6,158 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@roberta591I have not tried it out but I might do that, especially if nobody else has an idea of what the issue can be. Maybe I'm just overestimating the power of my GPU. And underestimating the intensity of Sims 4 in ultra settings.

Message 9 of 25 (6,152 Views)

[ Edited ]

@SimmerGeorge  The fps you've listed is somewhat low for an Nvidia 1060.  The game itself has fps drops, including when there are a number of sims on the current lot or when you're playing in San Myshuno, because of how it's programmed, and that can't really be helped.  But in theory, you should see fps more like 80 at its lowest and ranging much higher.  So there's likely something else going on.

Of course, higher fps doesn't help if your monitor can't display it, but you should definitely see a smooth 60 fps (if that's your monitor's refresh rate) with v-sync enabled.  If you're up for some testing, there are a few things you can try, with v-sync disabled for now at least, so you see the true max fps.

Please undo the GeForce Experience setting to optimize Sims 4; you can set your options manually.  Disable Origin in-game as well: hover over your username, select Application Setting, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the first option at the top.  Move your entire Sims 4 user data folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop; when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Don't add anything to this folder yet.)  Set your graphics options to ultra if theyr'e not already, and disable post-processing.

Test in fullscreen, windowed fullscreen, and windowed modes, both with your normal setup and with Origin and your computer offline.  Don't run any other apps while testing.  Let me know whether you see any improvement.

If none of this makes much of a difference, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 10 of 25 (6,150 Views)