Sims 4 Local File Path Empty

by SiltionGaming

Original Post

Sims 4 Local File Path Empty

★★★★ Novice

So, Looked through many different websites, help links, blog pages, and posts. Simply cannot find my current problem anywhere.

I have owned Sims 4 on Origin basically since launch, recently with Steam integration, I moved it over. I now own some DLC on Origin and some on Steam. Was not a problem until recently, Game refused to open through Steam, and the Play button is grayed out on Origin. Tried tinkering with my files a while back and eventually gave up due to no progress.

Now my Sims directory under Documents/Electronic Arts is now just straight-up empty, obviously, the game's debug txt file says no locale file path now, and I have uninstalled Sims 4 on Steam, and Origin. Nothing has changed, I've Verified File Integrity on Steam which has also not helped. Cleared my Origin Cache as well without anything changing. The only location I can find files for the game is under Steams "Browse Local Files" but they are not true game files. Just stuff that is there to link back to Origin on launch. I've also fully uninstalled Origin and Re-Installed it. Nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Kind of lost here

Message 1 of 39 (1,596 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Local File Path Empty

Hero
@SiltionGaming Where are you getting this error ? Is that a log file ?

What security software are you using ? Possibly it blocks the game from creating content.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 39 (1,574 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@crinrict That Error was showing up in the Debug TXT file in Steam's files. Every time I launch the game, more of that line shows up there so I'm assuming that is what is happening. When it Comes to security software I'm assuming you mean like Antivirus? If so literally nothing.

Message 3 of 39 (1,558 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@crinrict Sorry I don't think the Ping/@ worked properly in the last one

Message 4 of 39 (1,525 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SiltionGaming  I'm guessing your playing on a pc. Did you try to repair the game in Origin? Did you recently start using OneDrive?

Message 5 of 39 (1,513 Views)

Hero
@SiltionGaming Sorry, I missed your tag.

Are you using the default path to install steam games ? They're usually in steamapps\common. Do you have Sims 4 game files there ?

Do you have any in the Origin_Games folder ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 39 (1,501 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@crinrict @roberta591 I do not use OneDrive, usually is a pain in the * so I avoid it. Steamapps does in fact have files in it but they are definitely not proper game files I'll upload a screenshot here. the Origin games folder is the one that is completely empty, and no matter how many re-installs I do nothing actually installs.I also do not have a "Repair" option on Origin for Sims 4, straight up does not show up upon right clicking it

Message 7 of 39 (1,490 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SiltionGaming   You don't have to "use" OneDrive. Sometimes a Windows 10 update OneDrive login may be part of the update welcome. I don't use OneDrive but right after an update there is a page that sometimes requests you login to OneDrive. OneDrive relocates folders and files in prep to sync. The operating system (Windows 10) knows this and redirects calls to these folders and files. the problem is the game does not know this and keeps looking in the default location. This problem seems to happen after you start the game THEN enable OneDrive. If the default game folder in the user document game folder is empty something is wrong as this folder is checked every time the game starts and if empty the game creates new data. Another issue I have found is a rights issue. Does your user login have rights to the game folder and files. The Sims games have a complicated file structure and I found out early not to mess with it. I have both Origin and Steam and I have no issues playing the Sims games. With issues between EA and Steam I decided to use Origin for this game.

Message 8 of 39 (1,484 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@roberta591Just looked into my Onedrive folder, can't see anything in there that should cause a problem, I'm gonna completely wipe it from my pc then try again. My issue is I played the game fine for like 2 months (on Steam) and then bam it decided to die. I've owned the game for a long while through Origin, since 2014

Message 9 of 39 (1,480 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SiltionGaming   I've been playing since Will Wright put out SimCity with Maxis. Actually my first computer game was the Colossal Cave Adventure by Don Woods and William Crowther for the PDP-10. Can you remember if you uninstalled or installed anything lately?

Message 10 of 39 (1,459 Views)