Sims 4 Lagging After Update

by cherrylush

Original Post

Sims 4 Lagging After Update

★★★ Novice

Okay so my Sims 4 is lagging. Not super bad but like enough to be irritating and not really fun to play. It makes CAS a freaking nightmare. I've tried everything I can think of. I've uninstalled multiple times. I've tried laptop mode. I've lowered the game settings. I've disabled the mods. I've taken them out completely. I've run the game just as is after reinstalling and its still lagging. Noticed it after an update. Think it was the update after Island Living cause i remember making a CC mermaid and then playing her and it ran fine. The next time i played it was laggy as hell. My laptop meets all specs, required and suggested. It was running perfectly fine on Ultra with over 15GBs of mods (including script mods) and it ran perfectly fine. No issues at all. Then bam i go to play one day for stream and it was laggy. I don't know what else to do. I'm highly irritated with it and I'm getting a little upset considering I have every single pack and I can't even play. So if anyone can help me out that would be great. Would love to get this done so I can stream the magic pack as soon as it comes out. 

Message 1 of 41 (6,407 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Lagging After Update

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@cherrylush

Step 1. Rename The Sims4 folder to "The Sims4 old"
Step 2. Fix the game in Origin
Origin/Library - right-click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.
Step 3. Turn on the game - a new game folder will be created and you will have two - one old, one new
Step 4. Check if you still have this problem in the newly created game folder.
If the problem disappeared
Step 5. Delete in the new game folder following folders:
"saves" and Tray.
Step 6. Go to "The Sims 4 old" folder and copy - your "saves " folder.
Step. 7, Paste this folder in a newly created game folder.
Step 8. Do the same with Tray folder and TrayDeleteItems file
Step 9. Check if there are newly updated version mods you are using.
Then copy and paste your mods and CC from old mods folder to the new one. First copy the scripts mods every time checking if the game is working properly. If you have a lot of CC try 50/50 method ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)
Step. 10. If all is OK - delete The Sims4 old folder.
Your saves and library will be not changed or damaged

If it will not work could you post your Computer's DxDiag?
To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the text file to your post directly in option "Reply" - not Quick Reply

I don't work for EA

Message 2 of 41 (6,384 Views)

★★★ Novice

Still lagging. 

Here is my dxdiag 

Message 3 of 41 (6,356 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@cherrylush

Go to the game folder and look for the Config text document. It will show which graphics card your game uses. Post this document here in the same way like DxDiag.
You don't have enough free space on C drive for temporary files created by Windows and this game together - if you have any programs what you can move to D drive - do it.
Message 4 of 41 (6,318 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have my sims and most of my games on my D drive because i cant figure out wtf is taking up so much space on my C drive. Thats where i had it before it messed up so i can download all the mods i want. 

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 5 of 41 (6,309 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@cherrylush

There are practically no reasons for this lagging
The only thing I can think of is that you have some programs, like Afterburner, Nahimic or in the background are running some open graphics program - or even Discord, Try to turn off all such programs, and Nahimic should be uninstalled at all
The graphics card works well. I just have to ask when you last cleaned the dust inside the computer. If the cooling system does not work well and the computer overheats, it can also cause problems.
Did you try to turn off the Internet when you were in the game?

The last option is to reinstall graphics drivers using DDU but I'm not sure if it will help you.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Message 6 of 41 (6,293 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi Both, I have been having the exact same problem. My sims has been running slow for a while but it keeps lagging now. For example the kids are suppose to go to school at 8am but the time is lagging so they end up going to school at 12pm and come back at like 8pm instead. I have updated by drivers multiple times like the Sims twitter told me to after I tweeted at them. Here is the diag file attached like you are asking for above.

Message 7 of 41 (6,260 Views)

★★★ Novice

i have NVDIA should i be uninstalling that? Is that why you linked that DDU thing

Message 8 of 41 (6,245 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@cherrylush

Only drivers of this card but if you are not tech-savvy take it better to a shop.

Message 9 of 41 (6,226 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Hrrng327  Just to clarify, there are two separate issues here.  The first is that you currently only have 4 GB free storage.  That's not nearly enough for Windows to maneuver, let alone run a game like Sims 4, and it could certainly account for all the lag you're seeing.  Please uninstall any programs you don't currently use, and move any files you don't need, including backup saves, to an external hard drive or flash drive.  A good goal is 20 GB free, although a bit less is usually fine as long as you're not updating your operating system.

The other issue is that your hardware is not strong enough for TS4's more demanding packs.  Neither your processor nor its integrated graphics chip is strong enough to handle the more recent expansions (e.g. Seasons, Island Living), and your computer might not be able to run them at all.  Game packs and the early expansion packs are less demanding, although they do require more resources to run than the base game alone.  Stuff packs only add minimal overhead.

Additionally, the cumulative effect of many packs will also stress your hardware more than just the base game.  Even adding a few low-impact packs may make a significant difference in how the game runs.  So if you're thinking of buying a few, please keep in mind that your computer is already likely close to the limit of what it can effectively handle.

The other consideration, if you want more packs, is that they'll take up some of that storage you're freeing up.  Normally this isn't an issue, since even an EP will only take a couple of GB, but with the small margin you have, you'll need to watch your free storage carefully.  The product page for each pack lists the amount of storage it will take once installed.

Edit to add:  There are other issues you'll want to address regarding your graphics card.  Its driver is out of date, which can be addressed easily enough.  And it would help to allocate more memory to the card, although you'd need to be comfortable changing the setting in BIOS.  You'd also see a benefit from installing more RAM, especially if you do allocate a larger share to the graphics card.

Once you've increased the amout of free storage, let me know if you're interested in making any other changes.  At the very least, it's a good idea to update the graphics card driver.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 10 of 41 (6,173 Views)