Sims 4 Keeps Being Temporarily Unable to Launch

by aucqz16dqw4c

Original Post

Sims 4 Keeps Being Temporarily Unable to Launch

★★ Novice

I keep having episodes where The Sims 4 won't launch for an extended period of time. This doesn't happen every time, but at least a quarter of the time, when I try to launch TS4 in Steam or in Origin, nothing happens. Repairing it in Origin doesn't work. What do I do?

Message 1 of 12 (765 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Keeps Being Temporarily Unable to Launch

@aucqz16dqw4c  The next time this happens, try playing in a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, if it launches, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you moved but temporarily not read by the game.)  Don't add anything to the new folder yet; just let me know whether you can get far enough to start a new save and play in live mode for a bit.

If this doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

And let me know whether OneDrive is running (even if you never use it) and how full it is.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 12 (728 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Sorry I took so long; I had other problems to deal with.

I tried your first solution and the game still would not snap out of its un-launching episode, so I ran dxdiag; the report is attached.

Also, OneDrive is running. I'm not sure if you were asking for size or size on disk, but those numbers are 20 GB and 17.7 GB, respectively.

Message 3 of 12 (645 Views)

@aucqz16dqw4c  I was actually wondering how close to being full OneDrive is, for example 20 GB used out of 50 GB total.  However, your dxdiag shows signs of an issue with Windows, so regardless of the answer, it's a good idea to run a couple of checks on your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth” without quotes, and enter
  • Please post the result
  • Again, hit Windows key-X and choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again and choose PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

Please post a new dxdiag when you're done.

Message 4 of 12 (632 Views)

★★ Novice

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.19041.844

Image Version: 10.0.19044.2486

No component store corruption detected.

The operation completed successfully.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.19041.844

Image Version: 10.0.19044.2486

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.

The operation completed successfully.

sfc /scannow:

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at

windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline

repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

I also tried updating to Windows 11, but it didn't fix the problem so I reverted back to Windows 10.

Message 5 of 12 (537 Views)

@aucqz16dqw4c  Please let me know how full OneDrive is.

Message 6 of 12 (528 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict 20.1 GB out of 1 TB
Message 7 of 12 (520 Views)

@aucqz16dqw4c  The next time this happens, please try playing while your computer is completely offline.  Restart first, then open Origin or the EA App (whichever you're using at the moment), put it in offline mode, and disable wifi and/or disconnect the ethernet cable.

In case you're wondering, there are no errors in your dxdiag, I mean none at all, which could be due to your having reinstalled Windows 10.  But please let me know how much time passed between when you reverted to 10 and when you ran the dxdiag, as well as whether you tried to play Sims 4 in between those steps.

Message 8 of 12 (497 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I just tried playing it offline during an episode of not being able to play it, and it didn't work.

I'm afraid it's been so long since I went to Windows 11 and back to Windows 10 that I've completely forgotten the exact dates when I ran the dxdiag and re-installed Windows 10.

Message 9 of 12 (398 Views)

@aucqz16dqw4c  The dxdiag has a timestamp right at the top, and your second one was run the same day as you posted it.

Do you use a third-party antivirus, and if so, which one?  When you can't play, does it show that Sims 4 has been blocked or quarantined; does it help to disable the antivirus completely?

Additionally, are there any associated errors in the Reliability Monitor?  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day.  Today is on the right.

For any instance you can't play, please look for an error that happened at exactly the time you tried to launch the game.  If you see one, double-click its name, copy the info you see, and paste it here.  If you don't find an error, check back in an hour or so—the RM doesn't always update right away.  If you still don't see an error, that's also useful info: it means the game was likely blocked from running, for example by an antivirus, as opposed to instantly crashing.

Message 10 of 12 (384 Views)