Sims 4 Inoperable On Startup

by Sagittarius1227

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Inoperable On Startup

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I recently got a new computer with the Windows 11 operating system*, and I tried to download and play The Sims 4. I could not, for every time I started the game, an image like this one appeared as the graphics loaded.

*My previous computer was running Windows 10

still broken.png

As far as I can tell, the EA app works just fine, but there might be something I’m missing.

The audio component of the Sims appears to be working fine. I can hear The Sims background music on startup.

I cannot close the game by clicking the X button. I’ve had to close it through the task manager every time.

I already tried repairing the game through the EA app and uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and neither fixed the problem.

Does anyone have any tips for what I should do?

Message 1 of 10 (627 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 Inoperable On Startup

@Sagittarius1227  Try the newest graphics driver from Intel instead.  It's normally best to use the drivers your laptop manufacturer provides, even if they're a few months old, but in this case, the newer one may address this issue.  You can download the driver here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/228342/intel-arc-a370m-graphics/downloads.html

You'll want the WHQL driver dated January 3, not the newer beta version.  Restart your computer after installing the driver and before trying to play.

Please also test the game in both fullscreen and windowed modes.  If you can't reach the menu to change the graphics options, you can go into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4, open options.ini, and set fullscreen to 0 or 1, whichever you're testing.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (491 Views)

All Replies

@Sagittarius1227  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 10 (595 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Alright, I've done that.

Message 3 of 10 (589 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Sagittarius1227 First thing I notice is you have an Intel alder Lake cpu. There is a DRM issue with this cpu that causes some game not to run. I thought there was a game patch or OS fix. You'll have to search for a solution.

Message 4 of 10 (577 Views)

@Sagittarius1227  It looks like this issue may be related to the driver for your graphics card.  Intel dedicated graphics and Sims 4 seem to not work that well together, at least some of the time—you're the third or fourth person I've seen with exactly what's in your screenshot and an Intel discrete GPU.  But still, the first step here is to clean-uninstall and reinstall both drivers.  You can download fresh copies from Lenovo:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-s-series-netbooks/slim-7-16...

You'll specifically need the Intel DG2 driver and the  iGPU driver.  Download both before starting, then go through this process:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

Display Driver Uninstaller should remove both Intel drivers at the same time, but please open it again after the first run and make sure it isn't still seeing a graphics driver present.  Once both drivers are removed, run the iGPU installer, restart your computer, then run the DG2 driver and restart again.  Stay offline for the entire process.

@roberta591  The Alder Lake issue affects Sims 3, not Sims 4, and it prevents the game from even starting to load.  It doesn't glitch out the screen while the game is loading.

Message 5 of 10 (561 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Thank you for your help!

@puzzlezaddict I do not know much about how computers run, so I am a little worried: will reinstalling the graphics card affect the graphics of other things I have installed, such as Clip Studio Paint?

Message 6 of 10 (526 Views)

@Sagittarius1227  You're not reinstalling the graphics card, you're reinstalling the graphics driver, which is just software.  Uninstalling it doesn't remove any other software from your computer.  The program recommended in the guide I linked is very precise about what it removes.

Message 7 of 10 (516 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I tried what you recommended, and I am still having the same problem.

Message 8 of 10 (504 Views)

@Sagittarius1227  Try the newest graphics driver from Intel instead.  It's normally best to use the drivers your laptop manufacturer provides, even if they're a few months old, but in this case, the newer one may address this issue.  You can download the driver here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/228342/intel-arc-a370m-graphics/downloads.html

You'll want the WHQL driver dated January 3, not the newer beta version.  Restart your computer after installing the driver and before trying to play.

Please also test the game in both fullscreen and windowed modes.  If you can't reach the menu to change the graphics options, you can go into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4, open options.ini, and set fullscreen to 0 or 1, whichever you're testing.

Message 9 of 10 (492 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict 

I tried Fullscreen Mode = 1 with the Intel DG2 driver and the iGPU driver before I downloaded the WHQL Driver, and the graphics actually worked. For whatever reason, they don’t work in Fullscreen Mode = 0.

With the WHQL Driver, the graphics (and the game) worked in Fullscreen 1 and 0.

Thank you for your help!

Message 10 of 10 (429 Views)