Issues with opening cheat console

by Rosebunse

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Issues with opening cheat console

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I just want to say, I'm having fun playing Sims 4. It's fun, and I love how my Sims look. I'm just trying to figure out why I can't use cheats. No matter what I do, the cheat window/console won't open for me, and I know I'm pressing CTRL+SHIFT+C. Am I supposed to press them in a certain order? Is anyone else having this problem?

Please help, as if I can't use cheats, I may just return the game. 

Edit By Crinrict: Removed Tag to Title

Message 1 of 240 (421,785 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4- I can't bring up the cheat window/console

[ Edited ]
Hero

I decided to put together a list of things to try for this

I'm marking this as solution to make it more visible.

Let us know if none of those work for you

• Make sure you use the correct key combination (CTL-SHIFT-C). Mac uses the same combination.
  • Make sure that no screenshot or other program is running in the back that uses the same key combination like Gyazo. Especially HP computers tend to have pre-installed software that conflict with the cheat shortcut. Make sure to disable those background programs.
  • If you have an AMD Card, check on the settings to check if something else is assigned to the short-cut
  • Make sure that the game has the focus, especially when playing in windowed mode.
  • Try CTL-Shift--C instead.
  • When in build/buy mode, make sure the focus isn’t on the search field.
  • Reset all settings. To do so follow these steps:
    • Close the game.
    • Move this file to the desktop: Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Options(.ini).
    • Start the game.
    • The file will be recreated.
    • Unfortunately this will reset all your graphics settings and similar as well and you need to re-set them.
    • Test if the console appears.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 212 of 240 (187,328 Views)

All Replies

Hero

There might be a conflict with another program you have running.

Do you have SIms 3 and is it working there ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 240 (421,282 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello,

I can bring up the cheat console in Sims4, then I went back to play Sims2 Ultimate Collection and tried to toggle cheat console, it doesn't seem working. After that, I went back to Sims4 and try to toggle cheat console, it doesn't work either. Afterwards, I try to install Sims3 with all the expansion packs I have on Origin, and launched the game and tried to toogle cheat console on Sims3, it doesn't work either.

Message 3 of 240 (421,176 Views)

Hero

What brand does your computer have ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 240 (421,158 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having this problem as well - I do not have any other Sims games installed on this computer. 

ctrl + shift + c does nothing for me, although occasionally if I hit them wrong I manage to get a screen capture.

I purchased the digital deluxe version of the game and am running it on Windows 7.

While I quite like the game, it's a serious buzz-kill not having access to the cheat codes. One of my great pleasures in the game is "sandboxing" elaborate constructions for my Sims to inhabit, and Sims do not easily earn enough money to permit this without the money cheat.

Message 5 of 240 (421,080 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Press the speed control numbers (1-2-3-0) And tell me if they work. If they don't press ESC (Opens the Ingame Menu) and then return to the game, and try CTRL+Shift+C again and the 1-2-3-0 keys too. If nothing works, try going to Origin, Open My Games tab, Right click The Sims 4 and click Repair Game.

Also, you shouldn't return the game just because the cheats window doens't work. Cheats are just an optional thing, not a thing you HAVE to do.

Message 6 of 240 (421,073 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you for the suggestions. Standard smile I tried them all and unfortunately didn't get any luck. I did,however, discover that Origin has "Sims 3" in the My Games folder. It was never installed on this computer, but who knows if that contributes in some way?

Personally, it won't stop me from playing the game, though it will probably impact how much. People play games for different things, and I can easily imagine that some people might be here only for the sandbox experience. I found my enjoyment of that persisted long after my interest in older versions of the Sims had faded. Standard smile

I'm hoping it's some kind of issue that may be patched at some point. I dunno. :/

Message 7 of 240 (421,067 Views)

Hero

There could be another program running on your computer that stops the short cut to work. Happened a lot on Sims 3 for HP computers.

Do you have an US Keyboard ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 240 (421,061 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, Crincet. Confusedmileyhappy: I do - I use a Logitech MK200 wired keyboard with a Systemax SYX CPU.

Message 9 of 240 (421,054 Views)

Hero

Do you have any background programs running ? What brand is your PC ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 240 (421,054 Views)