Re: Sims 4 Graphics Error (HP Spectre 2020)

by caraglassmen

Original Post

Sims 4 Graphics Error (HP Spectre 2020)

★★★ Novice

Hey guys!! So I just bought the brand new HP Spectre 15.6 inch laptop, and it runs the sims beautifully the only issue I’m concerned about is that when I first opened the game is stated: “Unrecognized Video Card: Your video card was not found in our database. Your graphics settings have been set as high as possible, but you may wish to reduce them if you are experiencing poor performance.” It still runs the game, I’m just worried that one day it will crash. I also looked up a list of all the cards the sims has in its database and mine isn’t in it (mine is a NIVIDIA GeForce MX330). How can I get my card added? Thank you!!

Message 1 of 17 (1,604 Views)

@SlothLoverbabe  The game should run fine on an unrecognized card, but it's easy enough to add yours to the game's database.  Please go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, open config.log, copy the lines between "Graphics device info" (about 25 lines down) and "Options" (about 40 lines down), and paste them here.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 17 (1,599 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Great! Thank you so much!! I’m at work rn but one I get home I will copy and paste like you said! 

Message 3 of 17 (1,529 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey I'm getting a new pc to play the sims 4 the one I really like also has the mx 330 with 4 gb ram windows 10 I was wondering were you successful in adding your graphic card and weather I would be able to play well with only 4 gb

Message 4 of 17 (1,480 Views)

@caraglassmen  The MX330 isn't in the game's database, but it's easy enough to add manually.  There are plenty of people here who can help with that if necessary.

The bigger concern is 4 GB memory.  While it's enough for the base game, and technically enough for the base game plus any one pack, it's not really sufficient to run a number of expansions together.  8 GB is pretty much the de facto minimum requirement if you want to avoid performance issues.  It's usually, but not always, possible to add more memory to a laptop, although of course you'd need to buy it separately.

If you'd like recommendations for other laptops that might be better, just post your budget and country, as well as any other details that matter to you.  Or if it's easier, you can link hte one you're considering and let me know what you like about it.

Message 5 of 17 (1,466 Views)

★★ Novice

I actually have another option a pc with 8gb and Nvidia GeForce mx 230 will that be sufficient to run the game with all the dlc

Message 6 of 17 (1,461 Views)

@caraglassmen  It should be, given the other hardware that laptops like this usually have.  I'd still want to see the product page though, or at least a complete list of specs, on each one.  It might actually be better to get the laptop with the MX330 and upgrade the RAM, but I can't be sure unless I see more details.

Message 7 of 17 (1,450 Views)
Highlighted

Message 8 of 17 (1,443 Views)

@caraglassmen  The second one you linked, with the MX230, is the best of the three by a significant margin.  This one:

https://www.tunisianet.com.tn/pc-portable-tunisie/41958-pc-portable-acer-aspire-3-a315-52g-i5-10e-ge...

Its graphics card is a lot faster than the cards in the others, plus its processor is stronger.  In fact, it's the best laptop I saw for your budget on either site.  There was one that had an MX330 (a little faster than an MX230) and was a bit cheaper, but it didn't come with Windows 10, which would put the cost above your preferred price.  Anyway, this laptop should run Sims 4 on medium or medium-high settings with no trouble.

By the way, I don't know whether you'd even want a gaming laptop, but this is surprisingly cheap for its hardware, and only a little more than the Acer:

https://www.tunisianet.com.tn/pc-portable-tunisie/39570-pc-portable-hp-pavilion-gaming-15-ec0004nk-r...

Message 9 of 17 (1,424 Views)

★★ Novice

thank you so much for your feed back and I'm considering the one you recommended 

Message 10 of 17 (1,415 Views)