Sims 4 Error: Already Running

by kashley07

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Error: Already Running

★★★★★ Novice

When I try hit Play on the Sims4, I get an error message that reads: Unable to start. The Sims 4 is already running. 

I have uninstalled both Origin and the Sims several times, cleared everything out of the Task Manager (even though there is nothing Sims or Origin related) rebooted my computer several times, and even tried given access to my Pictures b/c of some random advice on another thread. I also cleared some kind of cache based on advice from another thread. Nothing is working. 

Advice?

Message 1 of 83 (149,114 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 Error: Already Running

Hero (Retired)

If you have Windows 10, please, try the following:

1. Find the "Electronic Arts" folder inside "Documents".
  2. Right click on it and choose "Properties".
  3. In the new window, select the "Sharing", and a few lines below, press the "Sharing..." button.
  4. It will open a new window. There's a drop-down list. Choose "Everyone" and then Add.
  5. Everyone will be added to the list below. Choose "Read/write" in the permission level for everyone.
  6. Save the changes.
  7. Open Origin, log in, and try to launch your game again.

Let us know if that works for you.

View in thread

Message 5 of 83 (165,596 Views)

All Replies

Message 2 of 83 (148,858 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I Have the same problem and this doesnt work, any other suggestions?  

Message 3 of 83 (148,684 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same thing. It didn't happen until the Windows 10 upgrade. Please help.

Message 4 of 83 (148,669 Views)

Hero (Retired)

3. In the new window, select the "Sharing", and a few lines below, press the "Sharing..." button.
  4. It will open a new window. There's a drop-down list. Choose "Everyone" and then Add.
  5. Everyone will be added to the list below. Choose "Read/write" in the permission level for everyone.
  6. Save the changes.

Message 5 of 83 (165,597 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Still nothing. I tried this and resetting the game to factory settings. 

Message 6 of 83 (148,627 Views)

Hero

Did you check the task manager if the game is actually running or not ?

TS4.exe would be the process.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 83 (148,608 Views)

★ Apprentice

This solution worked for me!  Thanks ^^

Message 8 of 83 (148,528 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

What version of Windows are you running? One step that might help would be to try and run Origin as a new Windows user.

This forces Windows to have to start a new instance of the program you are using under that user profile.

Here's a few links to help create a new Windows user.

Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-7

Windows 8/8.1: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Windows 10: http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956427/microsoft-subnet/how-to-setup-a-local-account-in-windows... (At the moment, there is no Microsoft.com article on setting up Local Accounts.)

After the above steps have been done, log out of Windows or restart the computer, it will ask you to sign in under your old user profile or new profile. Select the new profile, then when the desktop loads, open Origin, log in, and attempt to re-open Sims 4.

Hopefully that works, if it does not, there may be something more deep-rooted than the Operating System that's happening. It could be Firewall or Program-related. If anyone else has additional thoughts, please let us know.

- B

Message 9 of 83 (148,414 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@pekesims wrote:

6. Save the changes.

This actually worked for me. Thanks a ton. Any idea as to why?

Message 10 of 83 (148,322 Views)