Sims 4 Crashing

by Bae_Bunny

Original Post

Sims 4 Crashing

★★ Novice

So I had to uninstall and reinstall my Sims 3 & 4 games recently. Sims 3 runs fine. Sims 4, however, is crashing upon start up.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Cleared Origin cashe

2. Repaired the Sims 4 game

3. Updated the Sims 4 game

4. Updated drivers

5. Disabled Mods on Sims 4 (managed to do this when I ran it as admin before it crashed again)

6. Uninstalled and reinstalled Sims 4 (deleted all files)

7. Tired to start up Sims 4 in offline mode and offline & run as admin mode

8. Updated origin

9. Restarted my PC every time I did anything

10. Uninstalled Origin (deleted all files) and reinstalled it.

When I went to Uninstall the Sims 4 I noticed in my control panel that only the Sims 4, Paranormal stuff, and Snowy escape were installed, where as with the Sims 3 all the packs I own are installed, (I attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about). I don't know if this is normal or not. My other Origin games run fine. I have no idea why it's doing this and only started after the recent Origin client update. 

Message 1 of 4 (231 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Crashing

@Bae_Bunny  The new Sims 4 packs do appear in the Control Panel now for whatever reason, but I wasn't aware the same was the case for Sims 3.  At any rate, since this is normal for Sims 4 and Sims 3 runs fine, it's nothing to worry about.

When you deleted all Sims 4 files, did you also delete or remove the Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts?  If not, please do so now and let me know whether the game works.

If it still doesn't, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (210 Views)

★★ Novice

I deleted all the items from that file when I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I attached my dxdiag report to this post. Thank you for helping! I also did everything I could find on the internet to fix this issue.

btw: my RAM is seated properly and I have 8 gb RAM. This computer is barely a year old. I got it December 2020.

Message 3 of 4 (175 Views)

@Bae_Bunny  Please start by running a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i. select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

Next, please uninstall and reinstall the 2015-2019 VC++ runtimes, both x86 and x64.  Click Windows key-i, select Apps, and scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables.  Click on the 2015-2019 versions, both x86 and x64, and Uninstall.  (Don't touch the versions from any other year.)  Then download and install new versions directly from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

You need both the x86 and x64 versions, but you can skip the ARM version, which is for a different class of device.  Restart your computer before trying to play.

If that doesn't help, please do a clean uninstall and reinstall of your graphics driver: there are a couple of crashes related to Nvidia features that wouldn't normally interfere with the game.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3513

Get a fresh copy of the newest Nvidia driver here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/176523/en-us

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then Nvidia if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe in custom mode.  Select "perform a clean installation" and install ONLY the GPU driver and the PHYSX software.  If you want GeForce Experience, add it back later, once the game is running properly.

Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works normally.  If not, let me know.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (166 Views)