Re: Sims 4 Crashing - Windows 10

by ashburton88

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Crashing - Windows 10

★★ Novice

I've been having a problem with Sims 4 on my Windows 10 install.  Any other game I play seems to run absolutely fine, any benchmarks I run all complete without issue, but try playing Sims 4 for any more than about 45 minutes and it will invariably crash.  Usually, it's just an app crash, but every now and again I get a BSOD.  The BSODs are usually WHEA Uncorrectable Errors

I'm running the most up to date versions of all drivers for all hardware, and have even reinstalled the VCREDIST files following some advice found online, but the crashes persist.

Any and all help on this will be massively appreciated.  Recent DXDIAG file attached showing WERs.

Message 1 of 11 (1,870 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice
@jpkarlsen 86C was a single spike, running an 8700k at 4.9GHz on 1.36v with a H100i so I'm not too concerned about temperatures, the mid 50's was while gaming, when not gaming the CPU tends to sit in the mid-high 30s.

I did up the voltage slightly, from 1.35 to 1.36v yesterday and didn't see any crashes last night, but if it returns I'll give the DDU a try.

View in thread

Message 6 of 11 (1,794 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

@ashburton88 

Since it crashes only after a long time playing the most likely cause is overheating. Clear out all dust and make sure all fans are working.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 11 (1,861 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks @jpkarlsen, I appreciate the quick response.

There isn't a spec of dust in the system, and all fans are working, so I can rule that out as the cause.  I'm confident the system isn't overheating, as I've logged all temperatures through HWiNFO, the max any single core has reached was 86C and the average of all cores sits around 54C.  None have hit their TjMAX or flagged as throttling due to temperature.  GPU temps sit around 60C too

It's only ever The Sims 4 that seems to crash like this, I can run the PC 8+ hours every day without any issues at all.  The crash happens with and without mods installed too.

Any further suggestions?

Message 3 of 11 (1,854 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@ashburton88 This game does some post video processing after the video card. I think you are running 2 4K monitors. This has been problematic for Sims 3 and Sims 4. I would recommend disconnecting 1 monitor and even try a 1080p resolution for this game.

Message 4 of 11 (1,817 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@ashburton88 

86C is too much unless it is a single spike. 54C is also a bit high when you are not playing. I reach that only when playing (I do use water cooling though). With proper cooling you should not exceed 65-70C while playing. While not playing the temperature should not exceed 45-50C.

Anyway it does not appear that temperature causes the crash (I would advise looking in to better cooling though). 

Your DxDiag shows some crashes in DWM (Desktop Window Manager) which may point to a problem with the graphics driver. Try removing current drivers with DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Then download and install the latest driver from Nvidia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 5 of 11 (1,800 Views)

★★ Novice
@jpkarlsen 86C was a single spike, running an 8700k at 4.9GHz on 1.36v with a H100i so I'm not too concerned about temperatures, the mid 50's was while gaming, when not gaming the CPU tends to sit in the mid-high 30s.

I did up the voltage slightly, from 1.35 to 1.36v yesterday and didn't see any crashes last night, but if it returns I'll give the DDU a try.
Message 6 of 11 (1,795 Views)

Champion (Retired)

With that overclocking I will definitely recommend Water cooling (the recommended Max is 4.7GHz). Hope it keeps working after the adjustment otherwise dial back a bit on the overclocking..

Message 7 of 11 (1,781 Views)

★★ Novice
@jpkarlsen I would like to move to a full custom loop in the future for sure, but for now the AIO will have to do.
Message 8 of 11 (1,777 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@ashburton88  You didn't post you were over clocking in the original post. That adds a whole new aspect to trouble shooting. I once built a new system and it would crash once a day. Could never duplicate the crash. I restored the computer to completely stock with nothing no needed plugged in. I eventually narrowed the issue to one memory module that was failing. Replacing the memory solved the issue. Overclocking causes components to run hotter. If your computer iis still you need to set everything to stock. If you are still crashing you probably have a critical component. Some memory modules are manufactured to take more punishment and tolerate overclocking but that usually comes with a higher price. This is just to add to the above posts in case you continue to have problems.

Message 9 of 11 (1,758 Views)

★★ Novice
@roberta591 my apologies, a complete oversight on my part not to mention the OC.

It would seem, at least after a night of testing yesterday, that the slight increase in voltage to the CPU has resolved the issue, so I can only assume that was at fault. I stress tested the system with Time Spy in 3dMark and then Sims 4 was running for over 2 hours without issue, something that just hasn't happened at all recently.

I appreciate the advice on returning to stock etc, I have had to do this one before; for an issue that turned out to be caused by a piece of software disabling hardware acceleration of all things!
Message 10 of 11 (1,739 Views)