Sims 4 Crashing - Steam download of Base Game and Seasons

by ShadowKlink

Original Post

Sims 4 Crashing - Steam download of Base Game and Seasons

★ Novice

I'm getting crashes while playing the Sims 4.  About 5-15 min into the game session, but only if I'm interacting with the game.  If its just on the intro screen it'll stay running.

So the list of what I've done:

Checked my system specs (good to go)

Reinstalled game

Updated Graphics Drivers (from product website)

Repaired via Origin

Using no CC or mods

Reinstalled Origin

Turned off Origin In-Game

Clean boot

Turned off Windows Gamebar

Removed saved games folder.

Checked overclocking is turned off.

Used windowed mode.

Windows is fully updated

Any help anyone could give me would be highly appreciated.

DxDiag attached.

Message 1 of 4 (287 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Crashing - Steam download of Base Game and Seasons

@ShadowKlink  Please move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see how a new save runs.  And yes, it's helpful that you've already tested with no saves, mods, or cc present, but there are other files in the user folder that might cause problems.

If that doesn't help, please do another clean boot, but this time, go through the Task Manager's background processes list and disable everything that doesn't absolutely nee to be running.  A number of programs, anything from MSI Afterburner to RGB software, don't get disabled in a clean boot.  Shut down any real-time virus scanner you have as well, at least while testing; don't open anything other than Origin and Sims 4.  And just to be thorough, delete the new Sims 4 folder the game created so it spawns yet another one.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (256 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you - this appeared to work for a while but when I restarted and turned Microsoft Defender back on the game once again crashed.  I don't have an RGB software, MSI Afterburner and there is nothing else still running that I can point to as a problem and frankly, I'm not comfortable turning off Microsoft Defender to play as a long term solution.  I really do appreciate your response.

Message 3 of 4 (232 Views)

@ShadowKlink  You can try allowing TS4_x64.exe in Windows Defender's Controlled Folder Access settings.  It's a good idea to allow Origin.exe as well; I don't know whether Steam presents any issues.

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/03/windows-10-defender-controlled-folder-access.html

If that doesn't help, try playing while your computer is offline and with Windows Defender enabled, just as a test, and let me know whether you get another crash.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (221 Views)