Re: Sims 4 Crashes on Startup

by JellyBabiex

Original Post

Sims 4 Crashes on Startup

★ Apprentice

Ok, I've been having this problem for over a week now and it's really irritating me.

One day after playing for a while I exited the game and when I tried to start it back up again it crashed before loading the main menu.

I tried repairing my game, which took FOREVER, asked for Adobe permissions, turned off my internet several times, majorly throttled my internet etc. and then when the download finally completed I tried starting it and had the SAME PROBLEM.

Origin itself is also freezing btw, it doesn't respond to my cursor and takes forever to register any changes

I took all mods and cc out 

Same problem

I cleared localthumbnailcache, the online caches, same problem. Also, I noticed that when I clicked "play" it reverted from having 35 completed downloads to 34!

No loading

I tried repairing again, it took literally over 24 hours, and the repair restarted many times, certain downloads failed many times, and ultimately it completed the downloads and said "ready to play". But when I actually clicked The Sims 4 it said "not recommended to play while download is in progress"!!!!

I cleared the Origin cache

Didn't load

I uninstalled origin, deleted all the original origin files and re-downloaded everything.

STILL HAS NOT LOADED

Right now, it's reverted back to 34/35 downloads, is currently frozen on the download manager, and did not load the last time I tried to play the game. At this point I have no clue what I should do to get the game to work. 

Message 1 of 4 (247 Views)

@JellyBabiex  Out of curiosity, how much of your CPU is Origin using?  You can see the value in the Task Manager.  It sounds like you might have the increasingly common issue where Origin uses almost all the CPU resources and grinds the system to a halt in the process.

If you're running a third-party antivirus, try setting exceptions for Origin.exe and TS4_x64.exe, or disabling it temporarily if the exceptions don't make a difference.

Otherwise, the usual solution for that is to put Origin in offline mode, although that doesn't help while you're trying to download or repair packs.  Another possibility is to set Origin to only use one or two CPU cores in the Task Manager: open Origin and the TM, click the Details header, scroll down to Origin.exe, right-click on it and select "Set affinity," then uncheck all the boxes for your CPU cores except for one or two.  Origin-related tasks might take longer, but the rest of your system should be more responsive.

If none of this helps, one other possibility is to use the EA Desktop App, which is still in beta but usually works fine with Sims 4.  I think there's still no way to repair games, but actually playing should be okay.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (220 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

Thanks a lot for your advice, now that I have reduced the amount of CPUs it can utilize I can actually use the rest of my computer during this process. Unfortunately though, it still NEVER finishes downloading for some reason. It keeps either saying "an unexpected error has occurred", freezing, and then re-starting the process from 0 or randomly my internet turns off halfway through and it says that downloads can't continue and then restarts the process. 

It's so frustrating, it also started doing this repair/update/download thing after I had already downloaded the recent update. I played the game, exited, and then this ridiculous process started all over again

Message 3 of 4 (188 Views)

@JellyBabiex  You could try using the new EA Desktop App instead.  It's still in beta and doesn't have all the functions, for example I couldn't repair the last time I checked.  But it might work better for you.  There's a download link here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/FAQ-EA-Desktop-Beta/td-p/9090992

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (161 Views)