Re: Sims 4 Constant Crashing

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Constant Crashing

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey all,

I've encountered an incredibly frustrating problem that seems to have occurred with the latest Windows 10 update. Sims 4 keeps crashing to desktop and, on several occasions, completely restarts the computer. I've done everything I can think of:

1. Chkdsk

2. Clean VC Redistributable install

3. Ran as admin in Windows 8 mode

4. Clean install of Sims 4, literally erasing all traces of it on my system

5. Reinstalled my graphics drivers entirely and used the absolute latest.

I'm at my wit's end on this one, so any help would be appreciated! I uploaded my DXdiag and the vent viewer info on the error.

Application errors:
==================
Error: (09/08/2019 02:48:48 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Perflib) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect function of the "C:\Windows\System32\perfts.dll" Extensible Counter DLL for the "LSM" service. The given buffer size was 6728 and the required size was 34328.

Error: (09/08/2019 02:47:51 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: TS4_x64.exe, version: 1.55.105.1020, time stamp: 0x5d5b49e5
Faulting module name: TS4_x64.exe, version: 1.55.105.1020, time stamp: 0x5d5b49e5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000011b3f01
Faulting process id: 0x1220
Faulting application start time: 0xTS4_x64.exe0
Faulting application path: TS4_x64.exe1
Faulting module path: TS4_x64.exe2
Report Id: TS4_x64.exe3
Faulting package full name: TS4_x64.exe4
Faulting package-relative application ID: TS4_x64.exe5

------------------------------

Message 1 of 10 (1,964 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Fancy_Whale  When you play, does the game crash sooner or later every single time?  Does it always restart your computer as well, or do you sometimes get freezes that require you to manually restart?

How long have you had this PSU?  Have you checked its fan for excess dust, and does it have proper ventilation?  Can you borrow one from a friend or relative to test?  Given your specs, it should be at least 500W, just to be sure.

Please also change the resolution of your MStar monitor to 1920x1080, which is its native resolution.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 10 (1,810 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Fancy_WhaleThis happens to my game when i load a lot or go back from a lot to the world. It really is frustrating that the game just shuts off to desktop.

I added my DxDiag as well, hope it helps!

Message 2 of 10 (1,930 Views)

★★ Novice

My issue occurs in 10 to 45 minute intervals. I've left the game in build mode and it'll just crash. Have you tried a fresh new game and getting rid of your older saves entirely? I've read that it helps.

Message 3 of 10 (1,907 Views)

@Fancy_Whale  Could you be more specific about how often you see a simple game crash, and how often your computer restarts?

@Liel88  Are you only getting game crashes, or does your computer completely reboot as well, and if so, how often?

For both of you, please type C:\Windows\Minidump\ into a File Explorer window, and grab the two most recent files.  (You can right-click on each one and select Copy, then right-click on your desktop and select Paste.)  If you can't attach them directly to a post here, upload them to a free filehosting site and link it here.

Please also let me know the specs of your power supply: model number; or make, wattage, and rating (bronze, gold, etc.).

Message 4 of 10 (1,877 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict It will do a restart crash as soon as a game is loaded for the first time, then it will crash anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes when reloaded. It doesn't seem to trigger my minidump, either. I don't think it's my power supply, as it only happens with the Sims and I don't hear any sort of clicking when it restarts. Here's the power supply, though: https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-stallion-series-rd600-600w/p/N82E16817182277?Item=N82E16817182277

Message 5 of 10 (1,828 Views)

@Fancy_Whale  When you play, does the game crash sooner or later every single time?  Does it always restart your computer as well, or do you sometimes get freezes that require you to manually restart?

How long have you had this PSU?  Have you checked its fan for excess dust, and does it have proper ventilation?  Can you borrow one from a friend or relative to test?  Given your specs, it should be at least 500W, just to be sure.

Please also change the resolution of your MStar monitor to 1920x1080, which is its native resolution.

Message 6 of 10 (1,811 Views)

★★ Novice

It always will restart the first time trying to load a saved game. Once the computer restarts and I load it again, I can play for 10 to 30 minutes before it crashes to desktop. Again, it only does it with the Sims 4. I was playing BOTW on CEMU with no problem earlier this evening.

Message 7 of 10 (1,806 Views)

@Fancy_Whale  I take it setting the monitor to its native resolution didn't help?

Please try playing completely offline:  Login to Origin, put it in offline mode, and then turn off wifi and/or pull the ethernet cable.

If that doesn't help, the next step is hardware monitoring.  Please download hwinfo from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't have to install anything—the portable version is fine, and you can launch it directly from Downloads or wherever you want.  (If you do want to install, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.)  Open it and click the icon that's a sheet of paper with a + sign to start logging.  Be sure to take not of where the file is being saved.  Wait five minutes, then open Origin and TS4, and play until you get a crash.

Once you have the log, you can upload it in .csv format to a free filehosting site and link it here.  Or you can change the extension to .txt (not .csv.txt, just plain .txt) and attach it to a post.

Message 8 of 10 (1,753 Views)

★★ Novice

So I owe you an apology. It's definitely the PSU. After flashing my BIOS, rolling back my NVIDIA drivers, doing a full 4 hour chkdsk, and testing my GPU's RAM, I ran OCCT in interval mode and each time it put a full load on my machine, there was a restart. My PSU wasn't giving me any other issues. No clicking, restarting on boot, or failing to POST regularly, so it seemed strange. 

All that to say, you were right. Thank you for your help!

Message 9 of 10 (1,735 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Fancy_Whale  The problem likely is the PSU, and I'm glad you were able to isolate the issue with further testing.  Before you buy a new one though, you still might want to test with a working PSU to make sure that the issue isn't actually something else, for example the motherboard capacitors.

Testing shouldn't be too difficult though; you might even be able to take the computer to a shop and get it checked out.  (And I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a new PSU on the spot once you confirmed that everything else was in working order.)  But you could also borrow one and test it yourself, since you know exactly what to look for.

Message 10 of 10 (1,707 Views)