Sims 4 Causing PC Reboot

by imaginarybatman

Original Post

Sims 4 Causing PC Reboot

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I've had the Sims 4 for maybe approximately 3 months now, which I purchased directly through Origin and have not used any mods or CC. In that time, I have rebuilt my computer to have better specs than the last build. Since rebuilding the computer, my game crashes and causes my computer to restart without any warning. This typically happens after a few minutes of gameplay and happens sooner when using build mode. I have tried every option I could find to resolve this issue including:

• Repairing the game in Origin
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling both Origin and the Sims 4 (CCleaner ran + computer restarted before reinstalls)
  • Updating my graphics drivers
  • Turning off in-game overlays in the AMD Radeon software panel
  • Reinstalling Windows 10 (and starting over from scratch)
  • Running the memory diagnostics tool for memory issues
  • Setting my graphics setting in-game to the lowest possible settings and everywhere in between
  • Running the Sims 4 in compatibility mode with Windows 7 and 8
  • Ensuring hardware is dust-free and plugged in correctly
  • Disabling Origin in-game and playing offline
  • Running the Sims 4 without any expansions or game/stuff packs and adding each pack back into the game individually

Nothing I've tried has resolved the issue. This has not been a problem for any other games, including Minecraft, Forza Horizons, Planet Zoo, and Fallout: New Vegas. The Sims 4 is the only Origin game that I have, though as all others are played on Steam. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next and can't find any suggestions for the Sims 4 beyond what I have already tried. I will attach the DxDiag and any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4 (1,556 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Causing PC Reboot

@imaginarybatman  There isn't much obvious in your dxdiag that points to a problem.  The Radeon GPU control software did crash once, so you can try disabling all settings in the profile the software has for TS4_x64.exe; that's helped with other issues, although not system reboots.

Please also disable Origin in-game, both globally and specifically for Sims 4.  For the global setting, hover over your username, select Application Settings, then Origin in-game, and disable it.  For the TS4 setting, right-click on the game icon in Origin, select Game Properties, and uncheck the box for Origin in-game.  Usually one settting is enough, but not always.

However, I'm not sure this will help.  If your computer reboots again, the next step is hardware monitoring.  Please download hwinfo (free) from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't even need to install it, just download the portable version, unzip it, and launch it from Downloads or wherever you want.  (If you do want to install, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.)  Restart your computer, launch hwinfo, choose "sensors only," then click the icon that's a sheet of paper with a + sign to begin logging.  You can save the log to wherever is convenient.

Wait five minutes, open Origin and Sims 4 (but no other apps), and play for 20 minutes or until your computer reboots.  (You can end logging by clicking the same icon.)  Then upload the log to a third-party site and link it here.  Please leave the log in .csv format, or my log reader won't be able to open it.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (1,509 Views)

★★ Novice

I previously had my graphics card changed from AMD Radeon to Nividia. My husband changed it out. He is basically pro at computer things but I find it odd that before the change every game I have run fine. Now my sims 4 crashes and reboots the computer. My Plants vs Zombies will sometimes play and sometimes just freeze up the whole computer. We did all the steps for Nividia for Sims 4 it still just crashes. I hope to resolve this issue because it seems like no matter what we tried nothing so far has worked. I will try this Fingers crossed

Message 3 of 4 (1,436 Views)

@EvilPirateLizzie  I would be happy to look over an hwinfo log from your computer.  Please also run a dxdiag though—it covers a lot of info not included in a hardware logging session.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (1,413 Views)