Sims 4 Blue Screening

by LausCassidy

Original Post

Sims 4 Blue Screening

★★★★ Novice

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help!

I got a new gaming PC last year that has a MSI GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card, I was assured this would be good enough to run games like Sims, GTA, Skyrim, etc.

Unfortunately, every time I play the Sims, maybe about 45 minutes in, the computer blue screens. I always end up missing the error code; but If I open the game again I can try get it if you need this information. 

My Graphics card is completely up to date as of February 2nd 2022 and I can play GTA just fine on it so I'm unsure what's going on in the Sims.

I will say, I've been having blue screening issues with this PC outside of Sims, for example; sometimes photoshop causes the blue screen (rarely, but it happens) and if I'm transferring files in my PC documents like photos, videos, docs etc, but I don't know if that would be blue screening because of the same issue as the Sims, from what I can catch, The Sims blue screen usually has a different error code to other issues.

I have already had to return the PC but now they're refusing to fix it so I'm stuck with this until I can find some kind of solution.

If anyone can help resolve the Sims issue at least I'll be so immensely grateful!

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4 (754 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Blue Screening

@LausCassidy  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.  Among (many) other things, it'll list any BlueScreen codes in the list of the last ten Windows errors.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

In the future, you can also get more info about a BlueScreen from the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day.  Right-click on any BSOD entry and select "Show technical details," and you'll see the error code and some other basic info.  Whether that data is actually informative is kind of a crapshoot.

If you see any interesting entries in the Reliability Monitor, feel free to copy and paste the info into a reply as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (744 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi there,

I'm so sorry I'm only getting back to this now, the notification landed in my spam and I only found it this past weekend.

I hadn't really even had the chance to play the Sims since my last post, so I started the game up to see if it'd maybe miraculously fixed itself, unfortunately it bluescreened before I could even hit the play button.

I have attached the file of the dxdiag report for you, and I had a look at the reliability monitor which had the following information from my blue screen that just happened.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff80454a004c7, 0xffffab02a248ea58, 0xffffd7014e499920). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

Do you know if this means anything?

Any help would be seriously appreciated!

Thanks,

Lauren

Message 3 of 4 (625 Views)

@LausCassidy  Bug check 1e means that a kernel-mode program caused the error, but it doesn't specify which one.  Your dxdiag also lists a few in page errors, which are usually related to an issue with the hard drive/solid state drive or memory.  So I'd suggest you look there first.  For the drives:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste "chkdsk /f /r c:" without quotes, and enter
  • You'll be asked to allow a restart; say yes
  • When the scan is done, use this guide to find the results
  • Repeat for drive D: use "chkdsk /f /r d:" without quotes

You should be able to attach the report to a post as well.  Running chkdsk will take some time, so you may want to leave it while you're doing something else.

For the RAM, the gold standard is MemTest86, testing each module separately and in at least two different slots on the motherboard.

https://www.memtest86.com/index.html

https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/memtest86_memory_guide/

Since this is time-consuming, you can start with chkdsk and see what you get, and you can also use Microsoft's built-in memory diagnostics first:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/technet-magazine/ff700221(v=msdn.10)?redirectedfr...

I wouldn't consider a pass from this tool to be even close to definitive, but if it does flag an error, that's probably accurate.

Finally, I'd like to know what RAM you're using, by product number.  If you don't have that handy, you can find it on the modules themselves.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (612 Views)