Re: Sims 4 Blackscreen unplayable

by AoniKs

Original Post

Sims 4 Blackscreen unplayable

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

So my sims 4 was working fine and this never happened.

All of a sudden whenever I launch my game nothing loads the window goes black and it starts being unresponsive.

I've tried most of the fixes suggested and I just don't even know what to do anymore.

Message 1 of 9 (632 Views)

@AoniKs  I don't know what you've tried, so i'll list the usual troubleshooting steps, and you can skip any that haven't worked.  Please start by repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.  To be more thorough, you can clear Origin's cache and restart your computer first.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

If that doesn't help, please move the entire Sims 4 user data folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether you can start a new save and play for a bit.  Let me know either way.

If you still get a black screen with a clean folder in place, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.  This is not a solution, just a way to gather information on a range of potential issues.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 9 (604 Views)

★★★ Novice

here you go, i tried removing the sims 4 folder and that didnt work.

Message 3 of 9 (573 Views)

@AoniKs  Interestingly, there aren't any Sims 4-related errors in your dxdiag, just one from Origin and a number from various other games.  Do these other games run okay?  Have you checked that the cable between the monitor and graphics card is securely plugged in on both ends, and the monitor's power cable as well?

If that's not the issue, please check the Reliability Monitor for any recent entries that mention Sims 4 or Origin. Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

For any errors from the last couple of days, or whenever you try to play agin, click "View technical details," then copy the information and paste it into a text document.  (Notepad is fine.)  You can attach the file to a post as you did with your dxdiag.  Sometimes the Reliability Monitor doesn't update right away, so if you don't see any related errors, be sure to check back an hour or two.  The timestamp can also be off by up to an hour, so that's not an entirely reliable metric.

Message 4 of 9 (534 Views)

★★★ Novice

all the cables are secured. In the Wordpad, I put the past two days, and then I put the first day it started happening.

Message 5 of 9 (516 Views)

@AoniKs  Okay, that's no a super helpful error, other than the fact that it confirms the software is crashing, not your computer's hardware.  To get more information, please enable crash dumps and upload one.  Here's how:

• Hit the Windows key, type "command prompt" in the box, right-click on Command Prompt in the search results, and select Run as Administrator
  • In the window, paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" without the outside quotes into the box, and enter
  • Launch Sims 4 and let it go to the black screen
  • After it crashes, wait for any crash dialogs to finish
  • Then hit Windows key-R and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" without quotes into the box, and enter
  • Upload the last .dmp file to the free filehosting site of your choice, and link it here
  • When you want to undo the auto crash log dumps, open Command Prompt as before, paste "reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f" without the outside quotes, and enter.

Message 6 of 9 (490 Views)

★★★ Novice

okay so I did all that, but it seems there is a slight problem. so the game just black screens then does not respond. it doesn't actually crash and close itself, the only way it will close is if I close it through task manager, so it doesn't actually make a .dmp file.

Message 7 of 9 (475 Views)

[ Edited ]

@AoniKs  Interesting.  Are you signed into both Origin and Steam, with both online, when you press play?  Does it make a difference if you take one or both offline first, or which client you use to launch the game, or if you launch through TS4_x64.exe directly?

If those steps don't change anything, please try disabling any antivirus/firewall you currently have running, just for testing.  If it works, you'll need to add an exception for TS4_x64.exe, and probably Origin.exe and Steam.exe as well.

If that doesn't help either, try playing in a clean boot.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

Message 8 of 9 (463 Views)

★★★ Novice

turning off my firewall didn't work, I was able to use both origin and steam before but now neither work. I've tried turning one-off and another one on vice versa. before I try to clean boot im going to uninstall both versions and remove the files related to sims 4. maybe that'll work.

Message 9 of 9 (445 Views)