by LittleGraveRaven

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 Black Screen Crash

★★★★★ Novice

Ok! I will do that as soon as I'm done with some university course work, thanks

Message 11 of 27 (648 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

It did crash again, is there something wrong with my system perhaps? Or maybe origin? As the crash for both seems to be the path of the game. Here is the reliability monitor:

Source
The Sims™ 4

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎8/‎27/‎2021 6:02 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\Origin\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4_x64.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TS4_x64.exe
Application Version: 1.78.58.1030
Application Timestamp: 610491bc
Fault Module Name: Simulation_x64.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.200.0.524
Fault Module Timestamp: 6104917e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000005ced87
OS Version: 10.0.19043.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: a99a
Additional Information 2: a99a69225cee25add0d560383ebf78f4
Additional Information 3: ec0c
Additional Information 4: ec0c6e16b3fc537113c1680b4355a589

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 95ef06044c7ce6aca335dc84e312b5ff (1384254923789743615)

Message 12 of 27 (624 Views)

@LittleGraveRaven  This kind of crash is usually due to some kind of problem with Sims 4, not a system-wide issue.  One possible problem is having your game installed on an external drive.  While that would normally be fine, it does add a few complicating factors: you could have a bad cable or a bad port on your PC, or the drive itself could be defective.  Or, frankly, the data transfer speeds might not be keeping up with the game's demands.

The first thing to try is to connect your external SSD to a different port on your computer.  Please make sure you're using a USB 3.0 port, not a USB 2: the connecters for each are compatible with ports for the other, but USB 3 has much faster data transfer speeds.  If you're already using a USB 3 port, switch to a different one.  Your computer's manual should show you where to find the proper ports, but the easiest way to tell is that the internal plastic bit in a USB 3 port is blue.

If that doesn't help, please do a clean uninstall of Sims 4 and reinstall it on your internal drive.  If Origin is on your external, clean uninstall that as well; if it's internal, you can skip that part.  You can use your main Windows account.  Start by uninstalling Sims 4:

• Put aside your Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts (from the main Windows account) and rename it to something that doesn't include the words "Sims 4."
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Sims 4 from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • Once the game is uninstalled, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • Review the list, in case there's something you want to save; otherwise, click Select All, and then Delete.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

Next, uninstall Origin:

• First, clear Origin's cache.
  • Quit Origin, then right-click on the Task Bar and open the Task Manager.  Scroll through looking for Origin entries.  If you find any, click on them and End Task.
  • Launch Revo again and uninstall Origin, and when it's uninstalled, select "Moderate" again and Scan.
  • If Revo finds any remaining registry entries, select all, delete, and click Next.
  • Revo will display "Remaining Data and Folders.  Select all of them except for the "Origin Games" folder, if it appears.  (This is where other Origin games are installed by default.)  Delete the rest.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

Next, download the full Origin installer and run it.  Here's the direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Be sure to run both the installer and Origin itself as an admin: right-click on each and select "Run as Administrator."  When it's reinstalled, download Sims 4; you can just download the base game, to save time, if you want.

Restart after installing and before playing, and allow the game to create a(nother) new user folder rather than reusing your existing one.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 13 of 27 (605 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Ok I will do that and see, I'm sorry this is being so difficult. I only moved the sims to an external device because I thought that may help. I'll move around the ports or put it back, I will mess around and see if that fixes it. Thanks!

Message 14 of 27 (598 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I was actually able to play for longer than usual, the thing that crashed it this time was moving a room instead of the roof. Progress?😅

Message 15 of 27 (586 Views)

@LittleGraveRaven  Had you clean uninstalled and reinstalled the game when it crashed?  If not, it's still worth trying.

Message 16 of 27 (551 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I decided to forgo the external drive, too many variables to go wrong. I did the clean uninstall and install and followed your instructions. It crashes when touching fences and wall paper/paint now. I haven't been able to play long enough to see if anything in live mode does it though.

Message 17 of 27 (536 Views)

@LittleGraveRaven  I'd like to see a crash dump from Sims 4.  It might not have any more information than the dxdiag, but it's worth checking anyway.  Click Windows key-R and copy and paste this:

%LocalAppData%\CrashDumps

When you enter, you'll see a list of .dmp files.  If one of them is from Sims 4, please upload it to a third-party filehosting site (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) and link it here.

If there is no Sims 4 .dmp file, you can enable them:

• Hit the Windows key, type "command prompt" in the box, right-click on Command Prompt in the search results, and select Run as Administrator
  • In the window, paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" without the outside quotes into the box, and enter
  • Launch Sims 4 and wait for it to crash
  • After it crashes, wait for any crash dialogs to finish
  • Then hit Windows key-R and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" without quotes into the box, and enter
  • Upload the last .dmp file to a free filesharing site and link it here
  • When you want to undo the auto crash log dumps, open Command Prompt as before, paste "reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f" without the outside quotes, and enter.

During all of this, please continue to use a clean Sims 4 user folder (no added content at all), and please play a new save in Willow Creek, just so that there aren't any complicating factors.

Message 18 of 27 (518 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I did a clean install, and now the crash happens due to fences and much more rarely roofs. Does that change things?

Message 20 of 27 (451 Views)