Re: Sims 3 won't open

by EspressoBean21

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice

I've tried reinstalling Origin and uninstalling EA app, but when I open Origin I can't interact with literally anything it just says to please download the EA app. It was the first thing I tried with all this. 

Message 11 of 33 (375 Views)

@EspressoBean21  Okay, with Origin open (even as it's telling you to download the EA App), find Sims3Launcher.exe in the game's program files and double-click it to open the launcher.  (TS3.exe runs the game itself, but in an Origin or EA App install, it'll just call the launcher anyway.)  If you installed Sims 3 in the default location, both .exe files will be in one of these locations:

Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 33 (369 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

It didn't work. It just closed and reopened origin just like it was doing with the EA launcher. I even tried it again with the task manager method for the CPU limiting. 

Message 13 of 33 (355 Views)

[ Edited ]

@EspressoBean21  Please disable Controlled Folder Access, if it's running.  This guide is for Sims 4, but the concept is the same:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/03/windows-10-defender-controlled-folder-access.html

If that doesn't help, please post a new dxdiag.  Please also let me know whether the launcher opens at all at the moment, just so we're on the same page.

Message 14 of 33 (341 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

It was already off... I can open the launcher but hitting play will just reopen the launcher or the Origin/EA app. 

Message 15 of 33 (319 Views)

@EspressoBean21  Your dxdiag doesn't show any of the usual crashes associated with the error related to 12th- and 13th-gen Intel processors, so either you're addressing that effectively or the game isn't getting far enough in the process of launching to run into that error.  But what the dxdiag does list is a pile of errors related to the Intel graphics driver.  So it's worth uninstalling and the driver.

You're actually running the Arc driver, which Intel lists as compatible with Arc graphics cards, not specifically for your processor's integrated graphics chip.  So please use the "Intel Graphics - Windows DCH Drivers" download, dated October 26, on this site:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/230500/intel-core-i713700k-processor-30m-cache-...

Here's how to do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the driver:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

Please also specify that your computer should use the AMD graphics card for Sims 3.  Hit Windows key-i, select System > Display > Graphics settings, click Browse, choose Sims 3 (TS3.exe, without the W) from the list, click the high performance option, and save.

Message 16 of 33 (308 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I did all you listed and tried it again with the processor fixes and nothing has changed. 

Message 17 of 33 (292 Views)

@EspressoBean21  Are you currently getting any errors in the Reliability Monitor?  I'm only interested in those that happened at the exact time you tried to launch Sims 3, and only those from after you uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel graphics driver.

Message 18 of 33 (268 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

There are no new errors in reliability monitor since changing the driver. 

Message 19 of 33 (242 Views)

@EspressoBean21  It sounds like Sims 3 is refusing to open, not crashing, so I don't think you'd get a crash dump even if you manually enabled them.  But it's worth trying anyway:

• Hit the Windows key, type "command prompt" in the box, right-click on Command Prompt in the search results, and select Run as Administrator
  • In the window, paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" without the outside quotes into the box, and enter
  • Open the launcher and try to launch Sims 3
  • Wait a minute, then hit Windows key-R and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" without quotes into the box, and enter
  • Upload the last .dmp file to a free filesharing site and link it here
  • When you want to undo the auto crash log dumps, open Command Prompt as before, paste "reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f" without the outside quotes, and enter.

Please also let me know whether you have any use for the integrated graphics chip in this system.  I'm wondering whether disabling it entirely would help.  It's just speculation, but it's also something you could change back and forth with a couple clicks in the BIOS.

Message 20 of 33 (230 Views)