Re: Sims 3 won't open

by EspressoBean21

Original Post

Sims 3 won't open

★★★★★ Novice

Sims 3 won't open. 

I've tried:
- Installing Direct X9

- Removing the Sims 3 folder in my documents (the folder is being recreated automatically)

- Limiting it to one core (worked once, then nothing)

- Doing the powershell script under the 12th gen error

- Reinstalling 3.5 NET

- Apply lazyduchess's patch 

Limiting it to one core worked once now no matter what I do it says the sims is already running. I've closed everything, restarted my computer, still says its already running. Before my first try limiting it to one CPU it would simply go back to the EA launcher without any error or message, so something changed I guess? I'm the only one logged into the account so its not like its open somewhere else. I'm clueless as to what else I can even try.

Message 1 of 33 (878 Views)

@EspressoBean21  It looks like you have two separate issues here.  13th-gen Intel processors are affected by the same issue as 12th-gen models, so you do need to limit the game to one CPU core as it starts to load, whether through the patch or anything else.  (And the errors in your dxdiag confirm you had this problem at some point.)  But the "already running" error is separate and usually associated with the game not being able to write to the user folder in Documents.  This in turn is typically caused by an antivirus or by OneDrive.

So the first question is, what antivirus do you use?  Is OneDrive running, whether you use it or not, and how full is it?

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 33 (858 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I don't use a specific antivirus, Its been like two weeks since I built this thing so right now its just Windows Security. I don't really understand OneDrive but its not apparent in task manager if its active? I really never touch it so I don't really know what its doing for me. It says it contains 6GB of files when I right click it through my files. 

Message 3 of 33 (834 Views)

@EspressoBean21  That could be the issue.  If you don't have any particular use for OneDrive, try unlinking it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe...

Please keep in mind that this will likely remove the local copies of any files OneDrive has synced.  They'll still be in cloud storage and accessible at onedrive.com, but you'll need to download them again if you want to use them.  Given how this works, I strongly recommend making backup copies of any critical synced files before changing OneDrive's settings.  You can see which folders OneDrive is syncing here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98...

If you want to keep using OneDrive overall, another option is to simply tell it not to sync the contents of Documents, as described in the link above.  However, you may first need to pause syncing and/or cancel the current sync.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-to-cancel-or-stop-sync-in-onedrive-4885c27e-3d89-4d69...

Normally this is enough, but occasionally a player will be unable to change OneDrive's settings at all other than unlinking it.  Which approach you try first is up to you.

Message 4 of 33 (819 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I unlinked my PC from OneDrive and nothing has changed

Message 5 of 33 (790 Views)

@EspressoBean21  As a test, please create a new admin Windows account and try playing in that.  Make it a local account, as in, don't sign into Microsoft, and don't sync with any other services you normally use.  You'll be able to sign into your existing EA account and won't need to reinstall the game, but your saves and other user data won't be available.  That can be addressed later; for now, just let me know whether you can get far enough to load a new save.

Message 6 of 33 (757 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

Well, even on the test profile I still can't open the game. Instead of an error saying the game is already running, it just closes with no message or anything.  That was happening with the 12th/13th gen error so I tried the same couple fixes but nothing changed. It just wont open and goes back to the launcher without a message or anything. (to be clear I get to the launcher, then instead of opening the game when I hit play it just opens EA)

Message 7 of 33 (736 Views)

@EspressoBean21  In the new account, have you specifically tried the Task Manager method?  Please keep in mind that in an EA App install, the game will use TS3.exe and Sims3Launcher.exe, both without the W.

If this isn't helping, please look for any new errors in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day.  Look for any errors that mention Sims 3 or the EA App from after you created the new account, or any errors that happened at exactly the time you tried to launch the game, again in that new account.  If you find one, right-click on it and select "View technical details," then copy the info and paste it into a reply here.

Keep in mind that the Reliability Monitor only updates once an hour or so, meaning if you check it first and then launch the game, any new error might not be listed immediately.

If you don't see any errors, that's useful information too.  But this sounds like the same processor-related error we've been talking about.

Message 8 of 33 (717 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Alright, so I retried the task manager method. Nothin. It does reopen the launcher instead of just to the EA app which is different but the game itself still won't open. I went into the Reliability Monitor and I did find a lot of errors starting with the first day I tried getting the game to work. I attached the most recent one, although I didn't see any from my task manager attempt today, I guess it just hadn't updated yet.  

Message 9 of 33 (660 Views)

@EspressoBean21  The error you've posted is exactly what happens when someone with a 12th-gen Intel processor tries to run Sims 3 without one of the workarounds.  But since you're not seeing any new errors, perhaps something else is interfering now.  Please try reinstalling Origin and playing through that instead:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/Downloading-and-installing-Origin-Windows-and-...

Message 10 of 33 (640 Views)