Sims 3 won't open: Alder Lake (Intel 12th-gen) CPU

by Fuchie

Original Post

Re: Sims 3 launcher opens Origin

@rebexxaaaa  The issue here is that Sims 3 doesn't run properly on Intel 12th-gen (Alder Lake) processors.  I've merged your post with the master thread.

You can try using Process Lasso to limit the game to one CPU core while it loads; it's fine to undo the setting afterwards.  Or you can try the script another user posted here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-won-t-open-Alder-Lake-Intel-12th-gen-CPU/m-p/11...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 71 of 1,378 (10,386 Views)

Re: Sims 3 crashing after launcher

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I've got the text copied in a New Text Document, but I don't know how to do anything else you said. I can build a computer with my eyes closed but that's about all I'm good for. A step-by-step explanation would be greatly appreciated!

Message 72 of 1,378 (10,373 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@rebexxaaaa

Sure!
Once you have it pasted into Notepad:

1. File -> Save As
2. In the File name, name it something like sims3script.ps1
The important part is that it ends with .ps1
3. Save it somewhere convenient, like your desktop
4. Go to the file and Right-Click on it. There should be an option called "Run with PowerShell"

This will run the script with PowerShell. Once you open The Sims 3, the script will close automatically. Hopefully that helps. Standard smile

Message 73 of 1,378 (10,351 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you SO much!!! I can finally play TS3 on my new PC. You're a life saver!!! <3

Message 74 of 1,378 (10,343 Views)

Re: sims 3 doesn't start

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice
@rebexxaaaa
I'm happy it works for you! <3

@armorguy1234 wrote:

@puzzlezaddict Hmmm, well I tried the PowerShell script thing and it didn't work or maybe just did it wrong. I also downloaded process lasso but I have no idea how to use it lol.

I did have some random error once where the script spit out a bunch of red text when I ran it (an error with changing CPU affinity), but it fixed itself when I restarted my computer. Other than that, it has never failed for me. So unless you're seeing red text when you run it, I don't know what the problem would be. Frown

Just to clarify, you should see a window pop up telling you to launch The Sims 3. Once you have that, you should be able to open the game, then window will close on its own.

I might be able to help if you can give me more details on what is happening.

If you really can't get it to work then here's what I did for Process Lasso. Please keep in mind that it will run in the background and modify CPU affinities as you set them, unless you go down to your taskbar and exit it, so don't forget about it!

1. In the main menu, Options -> CPU -> CPU Affinities

2. In the Process Match box, you put ts3.exe OR ts3w.exe

You'll need to find out which version you have. I believe ts3.exe is the Origin version and if you're not on Origin it's probably ts3w.exe

3. In the CPU affinity box, just put 1

4. Click "Add Rule"

5. Click "OK"

6. Launch Sims 3 from the Sim 3 Launcher, it should open now. The game will run really slowly, so you need to set your CPU affinity to default. 

7. Go back to Process Lasso and back to the menu from step 1.

8. Select ts3.exe (or ts3w.exe) under where it says "Process match" and then click "Remove" to remove it.

9. Click "OK"

10. In the middle-left portion of the window, click on the "Active processes" tab.

11. Find TS3.exe or TS3W.exe

12. Right click -> CPU Affinity -> Current - > Select CPU Affinity

13. There should be one box checked. Uncheck it. Make sure ALL boxes are UNCHECKED

14. Click "Invert Selection"

15. Click "OK"

And that should do it. Hopefully I didn't forget anything. >_< You would have to do that every time you want to play the game. Not sure if there's a simpler way, but that's what I did before I made the script.

Message 75 of 1,378 (10,326 Views)

★★ Novice

your literally an angel tysm for this 😁

Message 76 of 1,378 (10,246 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Is there any news on this? It seems that for most games the issue is resolved through game patches or OS updates according to Intel. But even with Windows updated the issue persists for me.

Message 77 of 1,378 (10,182 Views)

@VincentTBlake  The only news we've received from EA is that someone is looking into it.  Part of the problem is that there isn't a team at EA responsible for upkeep on Sims 3 in general: the development team was disbanded back in 2013 or so.

However, a few pages back, someone posted a PowerShell script you can use to limit the game to using one CPU core while it loads, which fixes the issue.  Or you can use Process Lasso to accomplish the same thing and close it out after the loading process is complete.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 78 of 1,378 (10,167 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Thank you for your reply, @puzzlezaddict ! I am using that wonderful workaround. I just thought that maybe there was some news and an official solution somewhere as TS3 is not the only EA game affected by this bug if I understood correctly. 

Message 79 of 1,378 (10,102 Views)

★★★ Novice

So, semi related, but earlier today I decided to try and play SWTOR again after 6 years because I'd watched a streamer play it, saw quite a few good changes to it and thought I'd give it a shot again. I downloaded it off the SWTOR site, it seemingly installed correctly but, much like with Sims 3, I can't get the launcher up. I click the desktop app, it does that loading spin thing and nothing happens. Not in the tray, task manager, it's not there. I looked into it and, yet again, there is the Alder Lake issue. So despite them saying that they patched it to make all those games play it seems they missed a few, or it probably didn't work.

It's not just Sims 3 that's still affected by 12 Gen troubles, which sucks, though there is a workaround. Just got to wait on some actual fix.

Message 80 of 1,378 (10,087 Views)