Sims 3 won't open: Alder Lake (Intel 12th-gen) CPU

by Fuchie

Original Post

Re: Sims 3 crashing after launcher

★★ Apprentice
@Fuchie Oh wow, you totally can. Thank you so much!

So yeah, this works, but it's a bit of messing around with a 3rd party program. Sims 3 runs great though.
Message 41 of 1,351 (50,296 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Okay, I tried making a PowerShell script for this. Never made one before but hopefully it helps someone.  This should allow you to play Sims 3 on an Alder Lake CPU.

You have to copy this to a text file and save it as a .ps1 file. Then you right-click and run with PowerShell. All you have to do is run the script before you open the Sims 3.

echo "Launch Sims 3..."

do{
$TS3 = Get-Process TS3, TS3W -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
}until($TS3)

$Affinity=$TS3.ProcessorAffinity

$TS3.ProcessorAffinity=1

Start-Sleep -s 5

$TS3.ProcessorAffinity=$Affinity

BTW, you will also need to run this before installing CC through the Sims 3 Launcher.

Message 42 of 1,351 (50,276 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@Miaa245Wow you are amazing. Works perfectly. If anyone else tries this note that you will have to change Get-Process TS3 to Get-Process TS3W if perhaps certain xPacs are installed. No longer needed, thanks mia!

Also just for what it's worth, I reinstalled Windows 10 and was still getting the same INT DIVIDE BY ZERO error, until using this script to limit the initial 5 seconds of launching the game to 1 core. 

Thank you so much.

Message 43 of 1,351 (50,256 Views)

@Miaa245  Thanks so much for the info and the script.  As @Makanar56 mentions, some players will need to use TS3W rather than TS3, specifically any player who has a Steam install or a disc install not controlled by Origin.  Those players are on patch 1.67; Origin installs are patch 1.69.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 44 of 1,351 (50,247 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Makanar56I'm so glad it helped!! :D
Thank you for telling me about that, I (hopefully?) fixed it.

Message 45 of 1,351 (50,230 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't open: Alder Lake (Intel 12th-gen) CPU

★ Guide

Hi all, I just bought the sims 3 for christmas and I have never been able to open it at all. I am not the most tech savy, but if someone could dumb down the process that other people used to get around this glitch I would be very grateful. I'm on a 2 year old acer nitro 5. (I have been communicating with the help team about this but their response was basically tough luck and no we won't give you a refund.) 

Message 46 of 1,351 (50,129 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't open: Alder Lake (Intel 12th-gen) CPU

@Reekyteek  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

By the way, you don't have the same issue as the one in this thread: this only concerns very new desktop processors, at least at the moment.  Once I have an idea of what your issue is, I'll move your post to the appropriate thread or create a new one for you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 47 of 1,351 (50,123 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 Launcher not working

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict It turns out my sims won’t run because of 12 gen intel CPU they said they are fixing the issue atm but I have no idea how long it will take Frown
Message 48 of 1,351 (50,100 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@gracieandhollyLook a few post above, Miaa found a workaround Wink You can either use process lasso and limit the game to 1 core, launch it, then switch back to the full cores once the game started, or use her/his script (probably the easiest solution until ea fixes the issue). 

Message 49 of 1,351 (50,093 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Fuchie Thank you will give it a try
Message 50 of 1,351 (50,091 Views)